Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Podocarpus ?

Posted by happy_girl Z9 st. cloud (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 1, 09 at 9:56

Has anyone ever made jelly from the berries. My bush/tree is loaded with ripe berries. I stand beside it and graze. Just wondered if anyone else likes to eat them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Podocarpus ?

I was not aware that they were edible?

o

DO NOT EAT THEM!! Caution; children and pets can be tempted to consume the berries which can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain.

o

I'm not refering to the seed. The purple fleshy part between the seed & the branch is very edible. I used to have a recipe (long lost, & can't remember from what publication) for this jelly. I have eaten these for many, many years & never had a problem. I was just curious as to wether anyone else liked them.

o

Hmmm - this thread caught my attention, so I looked up podocarpus on Floridata.com & it sez that the berries are 'mildly toxic' & shouldn't be eaten....

Here is a link that might be useful: Podocarpus @ Floridata.com

o

A search shows that many sites state that the fruit is edible - mostly by birds or other animals like wild pigs .

The podocarpus listed are those in Australia , Africa and rain forests .

Nothing like first hand experience happy girl to prove that you can eat them without immediately keeling over . The write ups describe the fruit as having a slight grape like flavor with a resinous after taste . Strawberry Guava can be like that too .

o

Well, I always thought they were toxic. It is nice to know that they are not. We have planted them around almost the entire perimeter or our yard. We thought they would make a nice living fence. Now I can make jelly from them. Another plus for them!!!!

o

Or...perhaps, that is WHAT makes Happy Girl so darn 'Happy'!...;-)

o

I have eaten podocarpua berries all my life and never had an ill effect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here