Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smurfett59

plumeria cutting

smurfett59
9 years ago

I have several plumeria. one of which I can't get in the doorway any more. when is the best time to take cuttings from the tree and whats the best method as to not get any disease. I've had the tree for 5 yrs and it's full of blooms.? thank you and glad to be here.

Comments (5)

• Tom
    9 years ago

Most cuttings do best with heat and moisture, so the summer months are probably best for cuttings. However, this is Florida and we still have a few months ahead of us with heat and some moisture, so you can take cuttings now also.

As long as you know what to do for cuttings they should be able to get a decent start. I'm thinking of taking some now myself.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Hi smurfett59...Welcome to the Forum!! I'm very new to Plumeria but if I had to guess after the blooms are finished...maybe end of Oct early Nov.? but...I'll let the pros weigh in on your questions...just wondering would you have a picture of your Plumeria...love to see it, thanks!!

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

Hi Smurfette!
    I've been trying to break my plumeria addiction ever since I moved "up north" to this zone 9, where I'm scared that all my babies will die in the wintertime.

I used to root so many cuttings back in my Zone 10 island that I had to sell them to a nursery. Even in a cold January, they would eventually put out roots. I would let the cutting callous for a few days (plumerias are quite sappy) then stick it in a clear plastic bottle filled with potting soil. That way I could see those nice white roots as they came out.

Use a nice dampened mix out of a bag, like Miracle Gro, and then leave the cuttings alone. They will rot if you give them water.

Today I have six new cuttings that I just poked into a big pot of soil. I don't have room to try to root them individually. I hope all this rain doesn't drown them!

Anyways, you'll find a lot of great info on the Plumeria Forum. Even if you decide to not root the cuttings - say you'd like to just give them away - you might still need someone to help you prune your mother tree in just the right way . . . not only to reduce its size to fit through the door, but to make sure it is beautifully shaped for when it puts out new growth in the spring.

I hope that you'll keep us posted on what you do and pictures would be wonderful, too!

Susie

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

Susie, glad you mentioned waiting a few day for the cutting bottom to dry out. Most plants can't be without being in the ground that long, but these can be laying around for months and then rooted. Most times I wait about a week.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

Hi Kathy - you're right, Smurfette can wait at least a week, or maybe even til spring.

I just looked on Plumeria101 and they advise using a rooting hormone with a fungicide, soil with lots of perlite and warmth.

Also, I forgot to tell that I cut the skinny tops off my bottles and sliced holes in the bottoms for drainage. I'd put them in a box so they could hold each other up, and that makes it easier to move them to the best spots for sun and warmth.

Susie