Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Corn

Posted by cfldoc 9 Clermont FL (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 10:58

So, I think this is not too bad...sweet corn at the end of August in central FL. We have new plants already up for later in the Fall too. Variety "Bilicious"
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Corn

For as slender as the plants are those ears look fairly impressive. Nice harvest.
My corn of choice is not a super sweet. Peaches and cream....MMMMmmmm It's about 6 weeks in now.

Barbie

o

That's pretty good. The pollination is impressive. I am growing some blue popcorn. I hope mine turns out as well. I am always fretting about pollination.

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 18:09

From doc to doc, looking good doc ;-) You definitely have the touch....

Tom

o

• Posted by cfldoc 9 Clermont FL (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 22:20

Thanks Tom. Progeny from the Indian Stripe seeds you gave me a couple of years ago just went into my backyard tonight as part of our Fall tomato attempt. Still in the ground and not in pots, still trying to decide on the best tomato for our area. We like one of your favorites, Beefmaster too. Thanks again for the seeds.

Carl

o

They look great!

My chickens gave us volunteer corn plants so I let about 8 grow. I now have small 6" ears. How will I know when to see if they are ready? LOL one veggie I never even thought about growing.

o

Very Impressive!!

o

Mmmm - lucky you! I see tomato supports in there - what a good idea!

o

keiki,
When the corn silk at the top of the ear of corn is brown and dry, take a peek by stripping a little bit of the husk back just enough to see inside.

Lou

o

very nice!
Is it too late to plant corn now?

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 18:42

....We like one of your favorites, Beefmaster too. Thanks again for the seeds.

Glad you like it Carl, it's been the mainstay in my garden every year, I have not found a better tasting mater yet but I'm still looking.

Tom

o

• Posted by cfldoc 9 Clermont FL (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 3, 11 at 0:42

Still time to plant here at the beginning of Sept. but I would not wait long. Make sure you pick a sunny location and supply enough nitrogen and water in this sandy soil. Also a must is to spray for army worms which will kill the small corn plants in no time if you do not. I use the organic insecticide spinosad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here