Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caterpillares-Friend or Foe

Posted by trini1 FL10 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 11:32

Hi,
I have these all over my Plumeria. Should I leave them or feed them to my chickens? They are about 5" long.
Thanks,
-T

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caterpillares-Friend or Foe

That should read " caterpillar"......:)

o

http://commercialconnection.blogspot.com/

You probably have the tetrio sphinx or frangipani hornworm caterpillar. Check out the link I provided for more information - second response down - there's a picture of this caterpillar and an i.d.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frangipani hornworm

o

My citrus plants are covered in caterpillars from Citrus Swallowtails, they're munching on the leaves, but don't seem to be doing MAJOR damage. I would say keep an eye on things. If it looks like they're going to end up defoliating the entire plant, then start removing them. But if the damage looks like it will be minimal, then let them do their thing and wait for them to hatch from their chrysalises. If you want to play it somewhat safe, you can pick off about half of them and feed them to the chickens and let the others mature.

o

Thanks Kay & Leekle,
After looking at the Frangipani Hornworm, I think that's it. I'll keep a few and give my chickens a treat with the rest. I don't mind if they eat the frangipani because the leaves will be falling off soon anyway.
Thanks, T

o

Wow, didn't know the Plumeria got cats.? Mine have the rust going on now so it won't be long before they won't have leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here