Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Whe woud you start broccoli seed in 10A?

tomncath
14 years ago

I don't really have room in the garden but I do have a few self-watering window boxes, and I LOVE broccoli so I want to give it a go, but it's still really hot here right off of Tampa Bay so when should I start these seeds?

Tom

Comments (14)

• ladyaustin96
    14 years ago

Anxiously waiting to see this answer...I want to plant broc this year as well. (I am in New Port Richey z9) I am doing container gardening though...my dogs ruined my plots of land over the summer for gardening this year (if u know what I mean).

Kim

• SusieQsie_Fla
    14 years ago

Hey Tom
    The ones I grew with great success last year were started late October. I'm a bit further south, though, but I think it wouldn't be too very different.

I was still cutting little bunches in May, trying to keep the bushes going as long as I could. I finally had to pull them out to use the space for something else. They were huge!

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Susie

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    14 years ago

mine have been in the garden for 2 weeks... i started 'em at the very beginning of august. i lost several of the seedlings to insects and damping off, but enough survived for a mixed row of kale, broc, cauliflower... i'm VERY GLAD i started them so early, since they're already nice sized. usually i'm only just now getting the seeds started, but, as i've said before, i've decided to really push the limits on seed starting. it's been a good choice to make...

i've started a second round of brassicas just within the last week. they'll go in the ground when i remove my cassavas and malanga in october and november. in the meantime, they'll sit happily in my buckets and pots.

brassicas are tough!
    so, tom, i guess i'm saying... NOW.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

so, tom, i guess i'm saying... NOW.

10-4 buddy, guess I'll start them tomorrow afternoon when I get home :-)

The ones I grew with great success last year were started late October. I'm a bit further south, though, but I think it wouldn't be too very different.

Susie, even tho you're a lot farther south we're in virtually the same climate, right here off Tampa Bay I get NO frost...I'm going to try some now and if the bugs get them I'll start again at the end of October. I received the Veronica seeds, thanks! I'll start some of them too :-)

Tom

• linchat
    14 years ago

Started mine from seed Sept 1.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    14 years ago

Tom
    Are you putting Veronica seeds directly in the garden? (I forgot to read the back of the packet. . . )

Susie

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LC - how are yours doing?

Susie - I'm surprised but the Veronica packet from Parks gives absolutely no idea how to sow these seeds. I'm going to start them outside in translucent plastic cups since I don't have any extra 2L coke bottles to use. Call it a handicap but I really like being able to SEE the moisture level of the soil mix and when the babies extend their roots to the outer edges of the cup :-) Same with my broccoli, the only thing going blindly into the window boxes are the lettuce seeds since we know they'll grow like weeds....

Tom

• natives_and_veggies
    14 years ago

Tom,

I've been sprinkling broccoli seeds directly over the mulch and watering them in, and we were eating broccoli all winter and into late May this year. It's still too hot down here (Miami) to start mine, but I've found they grow like arugula weeds.

I've read that some plants are hardier if they're direct-sown. Anyone got opinions? I'm thinking of direct sowing some tomatoes this year, though I can't wait that long and have a bunch started in a windowsill.

S

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    14 years ago

i agree that most plants are better directly-sown, but space is such a premium in my garden that almost everything grows in pots and trays before getting a place in my beds.....

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    14 years ago

Oh hey - FWIW, for space-challenged home gardeners, there ARE broccoli varieties that run smaller. Umpqua is 1 that I grew years ago - Territorial Seeds carries it now.

According to the UF IFAS guide, you can plant broccoli any time up until January....

Here is a link that might be useful: UF Veggie Gardening Guide - scroll down to Table 3

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Resurrecting this old post...been a few years so the next question is when do you start SEED for zone 10 sets? Do you pot up at least once before set? Keep in mind that for tomatoes and peppers I start seed indoors under lights and do pot up once but do you do that for broccoli? If there's a benefit I can but haven't done it that way so far, I've been direct sowing in October but seem to have shortened my season to only the winter and spring.

What are all you "old-timers" doing?

Tom

• scents_from_heaven
    12 years ago

Testing, we always planted April and August and had brocolli for several months.

• beachlily z9a
    12 years ago

bump