Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thonotorose

Growth form of Louis Phillipe, the Cracker Rose

thonotorose
15 years ago

That roof edge is about 8 feet. Included in the growth is a Stephanotis vine and a Pandorea vine. the Pan continues on to the left some and to the right quite a way.

This is an own root rose planted about 2001. It was purchased from Antique Rose Emporium. If you have one of these and it is not "nearly thornless" you probably do not have the correct cultivar. There are MANY red china roses with good scent out there and quite a few people (and vendors!) believe they have the real LP, but are wrong.

Comments (12)

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Mine is nearly thornless, but those thorns still do get you when you're not looking. One of mine is up over the peak of my shed, so maybe about 10-12 ft. growing along with a bougainvillea almost the same color, and pea vines mingled in also.

It's a great rose that is very hardy.

FlowerLady

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Thanks for this post as this rose confuses me.
    A vendor I bought my cracker roses from sold both pink and red for $5 a piece.Mostly he had orchids for sale.
    I have two pink and have begun to start some from cuttings.
    So are my pinkies LP or Crackers or not?
    {{gwi:943141}}

• thonotorose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I believe you have Pink Pet. There is some further confusion between Caldwell Pink and Pink Pet. They probably are the same rose. There is a climbing version, too.

LP is cherry red with a lighter pinkish center, very cupped and somewhat full, though not packed with petals. If yours has A. a white eye or B. white splotches in the eye or C. sparsely petaled, it is most likely another china.
    Country Side Roses has good pics for comparison. You can see how similar they are. Scroll and click catalog and click Chinas.

This is another extremely good rose for Florida. Low growing, scentless and reblooms in flushes.

"The Cracker Rose" is a great marketing catch phrase and misused frequently. But... it also COULD be an old time folk name for any good Florida Rose.

To further confuse the issue, I have both. The one I bought as Caldwell Pink and the one I bought as Pink Pet. My PP has a slight ruffled and pinked look to the petals. The difference is VERY slight to my eye.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Side

• manature
    15 years ago

GoldenPond, I agree your pink looks like Pink Pet to me, as well. My L. P. looks about like yours, TR, but not so tall, as it has been cut back MANY times. I remember this rose very well from my childhood and am positive I have the Real Deal. It's probably my very favorite OGR.

The term "Cracker Rose" for L. P. has been in use for a very long time, but I do believe people/nurseries misuse it, as well.

Marcia

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Thank you for the education, Thorntorose & Marcia. I have five roses I always THOUGHT were L.P., but they obviously aren't, because they are definitely thorny, and has a white eye. (Knowing this because I just pruned them all back 2/3 last weekend!)

GoldenPond, that's a lovely pink rose, and a great price at $5 each!

Thanks all.

• manature
    15 years ago

Thonotorose, the description of Louis Philippe at Countryside is as follows:

"Almost identical to the china rose Cramoisi Superieur, Louis Philippe is reported to have the occasional white streak at the base of the petals. Otherwise, it has the same growth habit, disease resistance, and sweet fragrance. However, it is much easier to pronounce. Zones 7-9."

I have to say that while mine usually does NOT show any white, once in awhile it does. Not an "eye," but definite white streaks on occasion.

Marcia

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Even if mine aren't L.P., they have been well loved, and a stunning addition to the landscape. The Sri Lanka Weevil loves them too, unfortunately.

• thonotorose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marcia and All,

I, too, remember LP from my early years. It was the first rose I fell in love with. I knew early on that it was thornless and I just loved the scent. This is from walking to GRADE SCHOOL!... Forty...er...

never mind....

My Cl Cramoisi is very thorny and the blooms either ball or turn to black crisp. I am going to move it this winter. The few blooms that were ok were more packed with petals then my LP. And I thought CS was a rather small bush... but not sure about that.

As I understand, all chinas are great in Florida.

• akkmartin
    14 years ago

Which China does have a white eye, cherry or cerise outer petals, lighter sometimes mauvey inner ones that darken, cupped shape that is first globular, 2-3 inches in diameter, hardy in our Texas heat, and disease resistant? Mine is over 6' high. White markings on petals are there too. I'm thinking maybe Cramoisie Superieur. Bought it over 5 years ago but didn't save the tag. I wasn't interested at the time. Just new it was an "heirloom". Now I'm curious because it has done so well. I understand that the CS and LP are hard to distinguish, but thought I would ask anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses

• donhoch_peoplepc_com
    13 years ago

I live in Central Florida in Clermont. I would like to know where I can purchase these Louis Phillippe roses to plant.Also can they be pruned to keep them from getting to high? When can I prune them? Please reply . Thank you.

• amberroses
    13 years ago

They have them here. I ordered another rose from them once.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seminole Rose and Herb

• joycrick
    13 years ago

Donald:
    This rose is VERY easy to care for. Mine in New Smyrna got so large I used to use the hedge clippers on it 2 or 3 times a year. I love it, but it does not make good cut roses for bouquets. The petals drop after one day in a vase.

It is also very easy to start from cuttings. I passed this rose along to my mom and many friends. Everyone loves it!!