Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advise on Tomato plant...Please

Posted by puglvr1 9b central FL (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 13:39

I purchased a tomato plant about 2 weeks ago and it already as 2 small tomatoes on the plant...I planted it in a large pot. Do you think I need to remove the tomatoes so all the energy can go to growing the plant? know this applies to most fruit trees but didn't know if it applies to tomato plants also...

The plant is appx. 8-10" right now

Thanks in advance...I can add a photo if that will help...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advise on Tomato plant...Please

I wouldn't imagine that you should have to remove the fruit. Tomato plants grow new roots quite willingly and rather quickly. As long as you didn't do too much damage to the roots when up-potting it, you should be good. Did you take the opportunity during the up-potting to submerge the plant down below the soil level a few inches? I've read and seen on shows that it is recommended to plant a few inches deeper with tomato transplants because they will sprout new roots all along the buried stem and help stabilize the plant.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 15:02

Hi Nancy

There is no need to remove the fruit, I never do. What I usually do before planting is to remove the lower leaves and plant them deep. Good luck with your tomatoes! you are right in time. Mine are also planted and I am looking forward to some homegrown tomatoes.

Silvia

o

Thank you Leekle and Silvia! Appreciate the advise :o)

I will not remove the them...

Yes, I planted mine really deep...I followed the video on Bonnie's website (Below)...

Thanks again! Looking forward to some home grown tomatoes also...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnie's Planting Guide...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here