Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you grow spinach?

Posted by zackey GA 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 13:41

I'd love to grow my own spinach. I tried last year, but failed. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you grow spinach?

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 14:26

I grew it last winter here in a pot. I can't say I did anything but water it.

o

zackey, I posted this on the FAQ pages:

After many years of failure growing spinach in Tampa, I found out how to. Now, I take a pack of spinach seed, put it in a paper towel, wet with a little water, put that in a zip lock, without closing the zip, put it in the refrigerator for about 12 days. By then they will have germinated and will be ready to plant. Since using this method, I have plentiful spinach every year. I plant two varieties a month apart starting in early October. For a small garden, one could plant half a pack at a time. Renegade and Space have done well for me.

o

shuffles ~ Do you plant your spinach in full sun or do you give the plants afternoon shade or filtered sun? Do you start a new batch of spinach every month until what month in the spring? I did buy a really big package of "space" but I didn't find "renegade". I think that you mentioned that "space" was the best and fastest grower. I bought the big package so I would have lots of chances to get it right. Your method sounds great and I will certainly give it a try.

Christine

o

Christine, I grow spinach in full sun. I usually plant twice. I start seeds in mid October and again in mid November. They usually last till the bugs get bad in Spring. I have grown both in the ground and in containers. The spinach in the containers always does better and lasts a week or two longer. When harvesting I pick only the largest leaves.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 8:37

Zackey

I have been growing Bordeaux spinach since I bought it in a farmers market in Northampton...it does very well for me, I wait till the cooler weather arrives to plant and pick the baby leaves for salads, when bigger I use it for cooking.

Photobucket

Silvia

o

shuffles, Thanks for the information about growing spinach. I wasn't sure if I needed to plant the spinach in the shadier part of the garden or provide added shade.

Silvia, That looks like a good variety of spinach. It's like the variety that was commonly available before baby spinach became so popular. By any chance, can you remember what seed company did you get the Bordeaux from?

Christine

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 13:58

Christine, this season I am going to try new varieties, one that I got in Monticello and a new just released variety from other place.

Here is the info on Bordeaux, I have only seen it for sale at the farmers market that I said, it has red stems.

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: bordeaux spinach

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here