tinael01

New Trellis and Rangoon Creeper

tinael01
11 years ago

My new babies.......

Comments (12)

• Martina DeLuca
    11 years ago

That's really pretty. Where did you get the trellis panels?

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They sell on line by bestnest.com and simplytrellises.com and are Dura-Trel Winchester Trellises. They are made to mount on a wall, but I liked them so I got them and mounted them on fence posts.

• Martina DeLuca
    11 years ago

Well, it was a great idea. I have to come up with something for my Hawaiian Woodrose. The wide openings on this trellis would work.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

When researching trellises ("trelli"?) awhile back, I read that you should not weave plants or vines through the holes in the trellis but rather just tie them onto it. That way, if the trellis ever needs to be replaced, you don't have to cut down (or unweave?!) the whole plant to get it off the old trellis. You can remove the plant from the old trellis, replace the trellis, and tie the plant onto the new one. I don't know how practical this advice is but thought I would pass it along. It is probably one of those things that is advisable for some plants, but not-so-much for others.

Carol in Jacksonville

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

I love the trellis. It might be a bit big for my needs... but then, my trellis might end up being a bit small. I'll have to bookmark those sites for future reference though.

As for the weaving of vines... I train my vines through the trellis. I figure if the trellis ends up needing to be replaced, I will prune back the vines to only a couple feet long each and then remove the old trellis. I would think that trying to retrain the entire vine onto a new trellis would be headache.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Hi Leekle,

You might be right. The point of the article was, though, not to retrain the vine, but to just tie it back up. With almost any mature vine, this would be a two-person job, for sure.

I was reading mostly about trellising climbing roses. A lot of rose growers don't want to lose 15 feet of cane if the trellis needs to be replaced. But many other vining plants start over from the ground each year, anyway, so not much is lost if you have to prune them severely.

Another interesting point for anyone still reading, is that many vines need to be at least 45 degrees or more toward horizontal in order to generate blooms along the entire vine. Many climbing roses, if trellised directly upright (as often seen on either side of a front doorway), will only bloom at the very top. They will not bloom between the ground and the tips. The canes must be trained horizontally in order to develop lateral bud breaks that produce the blooms. This can be achieved by tying the canes around the vertical trellis instead of straight up.

Carol in Jacksonville

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

Yeah, I'm not much of a rose person. I have one Tea Rose bush of some variety (maybe some day I will be curious enough to get the variety identified) that was given to me as a house warming gift and I have done my best to keep it looking good, but they're not exactly my cup of tea... rose. But while reading up on the care and pruning of my bush, I did learn about caring for the canes and yeah, I image if you have a vine type of rose cutting those down could take a while to 'recoup'.

My vines are all passiflora varieties and should grow back if they get cut low. I have even read people complaining that they can't get rid of them even after cutting to ground. Other vine types, such as grapes, that depend on old growth would probably also be negatively affected by having to be cut back and I could definitely see the tie-up method being preferable for those. Which has me now thinking of using

as the tie-ups. Hmm...

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is three trellises placed side by side. It is tall though - 8 ft - because the creeper is a big plant. I wanted a rose too....but one must restrain one's self. :)

Good info, Carol

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Tina, those trellises are AWSOME! Now I've got my fingers crossed your Double Rangoon will attract hummers, if so I'll be right behind you ;-)

Tom

• wallisadi
    11 years ago

that cute, little vine is going to take over the trellis, the palm, and anything else it can grab a hold of!! incredible blooms, but not easy to keep under control. enjoy! not sure if you saw the picture of it on our oak stump, and we freeze here:)

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Tom!! Wallis I hear ya and the pruners are sharp and ready!

Tina

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Another reason to tie the vine to the trellis is many times the vine are woody and quite thick as they age and might not fit in the holes. This trellis has large holes but others like lattis don't.

My rangoon is on an arbor and once a year I prune it hard to the woody part and let it grow back. That helps to keep it in check size wise.

What Carol was saying was true, when starting a new vine, it should be trained horizontal along the trellis. Then the new growth can be trained upward.

Also some vines are so woody they can be trained as small trees, like the allamandas.