Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

Good beet variety?

Can anyone recommend a good beet variety for FL, preferably a yellow beet? Anyone have any experience with Golden Detroit? (Stuart/Ft. Pierce coastal area)

Comments (12)

• billbrandi
    12 years ago

Those are really, really tasty looking, Sylvia. I just might, maybe, could be, am thinking about, eating a beet, something that has, in 63 years, never passed my lips. New times require new thinking.

But okra is still a no.

writersblock (9b/10a) thanked billbrandi
  • whgille
    12 years ago

Hi Bill- Maybe you did not try a good quality beet or properly prepared. I make a beet and potato salad that everybody likes and my favorite are pickled beets to be used later in salads. You should give it a try.:)

Silvia

writersblock (9b/10a) thanked whgille
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks very much, Silvia. Gosh, those look beautiful.

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

Nice tender, young green okra. Sliced length-wise, salted. Yummy.

~dianne

writersblock (9b/10a) thanked gardengimp
  • bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Silvia while I was looking through beet posts today I saw yours above where you mention beet potato salad. I don't know how you make yours but I thought I would share with you my recipe. I'm half Greek and grew up in Greece where this salad was eaten a lot during the beet season. We mixed equal quantities of cooked beets and potatoes, cut up in small chunks and seasoned with salt, pepper and olive oil. Added a finely cut up onion. Some people add a little basil. Yum.

writersblock (9b/10a) thanked bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
  • liz1ttr
    8 years ago

For all the beet haters out there...roasted beets are out of this world!

And pickled okra, yum! Just experienced that for the first time recently, I thought I was eating some kind of homemade marinated peppers. So tasty! I did not grow up eating okra, so this was a very new experience for me.

writersblock (9b/10a) thanked liz1ttr
  • whgille
    8 years ago

Hi Bea, your salad sounds very yummy! thank you for sharing the recipe and I love Greek food! now I know who to ask for authentic recipes.

The salad that I make changes with the ingredients that I have in the hand, sometimes is cut up potatoes, beets, carrots, peas, pickle onions, pickle cucumbers, some mayo, some sour cream, sometimes I add hard boiled eggs and fresh herbs like parsley, green onions are good too.:)

Silvia

writersblock (9b/10a) thanked whgille
    8 years ago

Silvia you're making me hungry. I think next time I make mine I'll add hard boiled eggs, peas and green onions.

• User
    8 years ago

Well, this southern gal loves beets and okra -- the slimier, the better! Of course, my favorite is fried okra. Luckily, they sell it frozen so I don't have to get all messy breading it myself. I guess it all depends on what you're raised on. I also love beef liver and chicken livers, but I won't eat calf liver, veal or lamb. No baby animals for me.

writersblock (9b/10a) thanked User
  • Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    8 years ago

There are none! Every year my wife makes me try a bite and every year I make a face like an infant eating pureed peas. Blech. :)

writersblock (9b/10a) thanked Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    8 years ago

When I was growing up in Greece my mother said I had to eat my okra even though I thought it was yucky. As a result, as a grown-up, to borrow Bill's phrase, they will never cross my lips.