Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native plant Identification

Posted by countrynest z9 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 24, 11 at 14:37

Hi,Everyone.
Can you id this native plant? It has been growing in my yard and seems like it may be,Salvia.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native plant Identification

I gave a quick look in 2 of my books and could not find it. It looks familiar though. I'll look in one other book...good luck on the ID.

o

Monarda punctata?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dotted horsemint?

o

Laura,
thank you for helping.
Lady,thank you. I think you may have ID,my mystery plant.
I'm always in search of native medicinal plants.
Each morning for the last couple of days,I drink a cup of
"Epazote" herbal tea. I keep a jug in the frig. I take it in the morning before eating a serving of fruits. It cleanses my intestines,from bloats,gas and helps my digestive system to lose weight...
Thanks again to both !!!
Felix

o

You are more than welcome Felix. I have gotten enough tips from you over the years (especially with the tapioca), I'm glad to share back!

Terri

o

Nice to know,I was helpful. Thanks.

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 27, 11 at 7:57

Just wanted to drop in and say hi, Felix. I've missed "seeing" you. Hope you and Sylvia are well.

Anna

o

Sorry, I don't know what it is, but I don't think that's horsemint. It's not all branchy like that: very tightly centered on stem and the flowers look like little spotted jack in the pulpits, kind of:

o

Writersblock,It certainly does not look like the picture,you posted. Oh,well. :-)
Hi,Anna!!!!!
Thank you. Sylvia and I are doing well. Sylvia is a breast cancer survivor !!
I,often think of you when I see the blue goddess waterlily.
I fell in the fish pond yesterday,cold morning. All of me went under but my head. Thank God,not my head. I went in, to make an adjustment with the connection,of the immersible pump and the pipe that takes the water to the waterfall. It was slightly,dislodged. The floor of the pond was very slippery. I think, I gave the fish a heart attack,ha ha ha. I went straight to the pool,hosed off and jumped into the cold water of the pool. No body saw me.
Remember I use a walking stick,due to my left being weak,from the stroke. I had to crawl out,laughing at myself...

o

Hi Felix

Your plant might be "Black Root" Pterocaulon pycnostachyum. I looked it up in a book called Healing Plants: Medicine of the Florida Seminole Indians by Alice Micco Snow and Susan Enns Stans.

It was in my local library and it was so interesting I bought it used on Amazon a while back.

About your plant, the use noted in the book was to prevent a miscarriage of pregnancy. Hope you don't need that :-) and the roots are used not the tops.

Stay safe.

Denise

o

Hi,Denise.
Thanks,but is not that. I do think I found it. It seems like it may be,October Flower - Polygonella polygama. I found it at the site below.
Here's two more recent picictures of the plant.
Photobucket

Photobucket
What do you all,think ?
Felix

Here is a link that might be useful: White Florida Wildflowers

o

Felix, I also use walking sticks. Wonky legs caused by engine compartment dissecting the femurs. Ain't no way you could get me to step into my pond, I'm chicken. I use stools in the garden. One day I needed to work on the bio-falls and my regular stool wouldn't fit in the spot, so I got a sling tripod stool out that I've used at parks. Not even thinking that the pond side was not paved. The stool ever so slowly tilted over and deposited me flat on my back on the ground.

Our dogs finally got hubs attention and he came outside, looked down at me and asked 'What are you doing laying on the ground and laughing?'.

Well, I've just got to laugh at myself. After all, it is pretty hilarious some of the situations I land myself in.

~dianne

o

We are a mess. HA HA HA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here