Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 15:04

Hi
need to find a good home for these.
gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bottle palms

not up here, shipped mine to s. fla. in a neighbors yard....nice palm!

o

Hi
They are pushing 10 feet and in 36 inch pots Will Need a pickup Located in palm beach florida gary

o

Hi
Have 5 to choose from others have a more developed bottle and would make wonderful pot plants They are pushing 25 and should start to seed anytime.
4 are located in my neighbors yard and they're moving so new owners might not be as understanding?? lol Thanks gary

o

Gary,

Pushing 25, years? Sorry, have no clue just trying to learn. Saw some of these at a Lowe's in Port Richey which is north of me. I would have thought it be too cold up here unless they are meant to be kept inside.

Darren
Tarpon Springs,FL

o

Darren
This is Hyophorbe lagenicaulis . One member of a small genus of palms endemic to the Mascarene island. This particular one develops a very swollen trunk particularly when grown in a pot. another member is the "spindle" palm
H. verschaffeltii.which is much more commonly seen.
They are rated zone 10/11 but the one pictured has survived down to 28 but have alwys covered with frost cloth in temps below 35. and used christmas lights.
Grown from seed in the mid eighties and are now developing the swollen trunk but I have no room!!
They make fantastic potted plants but will require winter protection, not so bad when in a pot takes a long time for the swollen feature to develop though there are some species of palms that require 50 years to mature !!
Palm enthusists are patient?? lol
Don't confuse this with Beucarnea often called Bottle palm or pregnant onion not a palm at all!!! gary

o

Fascinating Gary. So this is a spindle palm that is more hardy, I'm confused.

Darren

o

Hi

Would say they're about equal though IMO the "bottle" is more attractive?? They do well as long as temps stay above 35 but there are several ways to protect them from the rare freeze.
You can google the latin name or check out some of the palm societies on line . They have pix culture methods etc/etc!! There are over 1700 species of palms !!
gary

o

I googled the two palms Gary, yes the bottle appears nicer. I've got 10 canary date palm seedlings growing at the moment and working on seeds for several other plants. Love palms, we'll see if they love me, haha.

I'd jump at the chance for those palms but, at the moment, I really don't have an appropriate place for them. Hope you find good homes for them.

Darren

o

Hi
C. date palms?? In a few years you'll have my problem!!lol They get enormous but slowly A more landscape friendly is the true date palm. Much more vertical and more elegant,can be underplanted
I recently found a Bismarkia nobilis that was seeding but since the trees are male and female and there aren't any others around i suspect they are sterile.Have to wait several months to find out lol good luck with the dates!!! gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here