Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My modest bunch (picture heavy)

Posted by CorpsmanCooper FL8b (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 23, 11 at 15:06

Here are some pictures of the things I currently have in my collection (if you even want to call it that hahaha). It's very modest and forgive me if I don't know the technical name for it. I'd like to know the technical names so if you can help me out with that it would be much appreciated! Or if I'm wrong please correct me! I'd like to get a list going of all the plants that I have with the technical names! There are also a few that I have questions about.

1. Colocasia (Elephant Ear Plant)
Photobucket

2. I honestly have no idea what kind of palm this is. I bought this when my husband and I were first married. It's been through a lot! Help with the name?
Photobucket

3. I believe this one is botanically called epipremnum aureum (Pothos or Devil's Ivy). Again, please correct me if I'm wrong!
Photobucket

4. This is a epipremnum aureum that I propagated from cuttings from the original plant above. It's a lot more variegated than the mother plant which surprised me!
Photobucket

5. This is the Euphorbia milii (Thai crown of thorns) that my husband's grandmother brought me. I need to get it healthy and re-potted soon!
Photobucket

6. This is a Mandevilla x amabilis (Alice Dupont Madevilla) that my mother bought me. I'm wondering if this will winter and if so how do I do it?
Photobucket

7. This is a Hibiscus that's been at this house since it was built in the 70's. It has beautiful double blooms and what I mean by double bloom is that there's the main bloom and then a bloom comes out of the original bloom. The flower itself is red and white. Can you help with a botanical name?
Photobucket

8. This is Graptopetalum Paraguayense (ghost plant or mother of pearl). I got this for free from my Grandmother's neighbor down in North Port, FL. It's in rough shape but it's starting to look really good and spreading! I really love the way this plant looks! It's one of my favorites!
Photobucket

9. This is a stapeliad. What kind is yet to be determined. I'm waiting for it to flower before I'll be able to nail it down. It's starting to get some flower buds so I should know soon. This was another acquisition from my grandmother's neighbor. It was very unhealthy when I first got it as you can see from the gray branches. Now it's doing really well!
Photobucket

10. This is Sedum morganiuanum (burro's tail). Another of my favorites because it looks like dreadlocks from far away!
Photobucket

11. This is the first succulent dish I put together myself. It consists of Sedum morganiuanum (burro's tail), little tiny Graptopetalum Paraguayense (ghost plant or mother of pearl) that you can barely see, Echeveria subsessilis and anacamperos lubbersii. I'd like to know how to propagate the Echeveria subsessilis and anacamperos lubbersii. Any ideas?
Photobucket

12. These are my newly acquired cacti I got at Lowe's on Wednesday. I got them half priced and I even got the dish/pot marked down because it had a chip in it. The cacti are mammillaria bombycina, mammillaria spinosissima, lemaireocereus pruinosus and a oreocereus celsianus. I realize that as they get bigger I will have to separate them but for the time being I'm enjoying them like this!
Photobucket

13. This was an acquisition from my German neighbor across the street. I commented on how nice it looked and she just gave it to me LOL! I still have some question as to what it is but I've been told it's probably Sedum sarmentosum (yellow moss).
Photobucket

14. Here is some cutting from the original Sedum sarmentosum (yellow moss) that I'm trying to propagate. They've rooted and now I'm just waiting for it to fill out.
Photobucket

15. This is another acquisition from my grandmother's neighbor. I know it's a bromeliad but that's about it. I understand there are lots of hybrid bromeliads and it's hard to nail down an exact name so I'm happy with just knowing it's a bromeliad. It recently flowered and now has two pups. When can I separate the pups or should I just leave it alone?
Photobucket

16. Another one of my favorite plants! This is a nepenthes ventricosa (pitcher plant) I'm hoping to have this one for a long time. I'd like some advice on cutting it back and propagating.
Photobucket

17. Another nepenthese ventricosa that I got for free because it was half dead and had no pitchers. I actually had a third as well but my generous German neighbor commented on my bigger one and how much she liked it that I have her one. I'm working on nursing this one back to health!
Photobucket

18. This is a hibiscus obviously. Forgive me I have no idea what it's botanical name is. Can you tell me what it is? It's flowers are very large and the color is a redish orange.
Photobucket

19. This is a Phalenopsis orchid I bought. The flowers have since died off but there is new leaf growth so there IS hope that I didn't kill it!
Photobucket

20. Another Phalenopsis orchid. Again the flowers have died off but there is new leaf growth.
Photobucket

21. This is a new acquisition, from my husband's grandmother, that I need to get in the ground. However, the only thing I know is it's a banana tree. I need a little help on this one. What kind of banana tree and what are the growing requirements? Also, a botanical name please?
Photobucket

22. This is the Hymenocallis littoralis (Spider Lilley) you all helped me identify recently. It came with the house LOL!
Photobucket

Ok I think I've bored you all to death enough! Thanks for looking!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My modest bunch (picture heavy)

not bored at all, lovely little bunch you have going.

Fascinating pitcher plant and yellow moss, I like both.
as for your questions, sorry I'm no help

o

The brom is a neoreglia. Looks a lot like my Neoregelia correia-araujoi, but maybe a hybrid. Bananas are Musa, many varities. Your hibiscus are probably Hibiscus rosa-sinesis.
john

o

You've done a great job with the Pitcher Plant. I couldn't get mine to last 2 years. From what I know, you can propagate most succulents just by taking the leaf, letting the end dry, and sticking into the soil. Most Hibscus have the same leaf form so unless you see the flower, it's hard to identify.The palm could be a Sabal Palm but it's pretty small so I can't be sure.
I hope that your Stapelia is not planted right next to your house or deck where you sit to enjoy the garden. It is one of the carrion plants which need flies to pollinate it. When it blooms, it stinks! Here is a picture of mine.

Regina

Photobucket

o

It's such fun to see pics of what others are growing and to me, it's never boring!
I love your enthusiasum and new found love of gardening - it will give you great pleasure as time goes on. And you seem to be doing very well with the plants you have - keep it up!
I wish I had your luck at Lowe's - I'm a sucker for a bargain -and love succulents and cacti.
Thanks for posting,
Hester

o

The brom could be painted fingernails (Neoregelia spectabilis)I can see some pink at the ends of some of them, usually all are pink, like a painted fingernail.

I have a question for you, corpsmanCooper ...what is your real name????
Lori

o

• Posted by garf 10B (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 24, 11 at 12:44

Beware the Banana plant. Once established, they grow like weeds and will take over the entire area.

o

Crueltyfre (Lori) my real name is Erin lol why do you ask?

o

Your plants all look happy and healthy. I really like the yellow moss.

It is really hard to identify banana's. When it fruits it may be easier but even then its difficult. I grow 11 varities in my small garden and recommend you put yours in the ground. Most bananas take a year to flower after being planted then another couple months till the fruit is ready. I always tell people bananas are like teenagers they are always hungry and thirsty.

o

That looks like a paurotis palm, but can't be sure.

#3 is also commonly called Pothos. Your variety is probably Golden Pothos.

Tropical hibiscus is Hibiscus Rosa Sinensis. You can tell them from other hibiscus by their shiny leaves. There are hundreds of varieties, so no telling which ones you have.

Give your fingernail bromeliad a lot of sun, and it will develop more color. Mine were on the east side of my yard, and they were gorgeous. That particular type multiplies like rabbits.

Love your pitcher plants! Keep the pitchers filled with distilled or spring water. The chemicals in tap water will kill them, so I hear. I've never grown one, though, and yours look very healthy, so I may be wrong.

Phalaenopsis orchids bloom once a year. Yours look fine, but I'd put them into orchid pots instead of the containers you have them in, in a general orchid mix.

You're doing great! Pretty soon you'll have way too many plants like the rest of us.

o

Erin! So nice to "meet" you, lol. "Erin" is easier to type than Corpsman Cooper, and now I know I'm talking to a female, and it makes it seem more friendly to have names. Just my little quirk I guess.
Lori

o

Hi,everyone. I'm also in the Panama City area. (I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks, but not posting until now). I'm posting in response to the question about mandevillas surviving the winter in Panama City.

My sister grows her mandevilla in a protected spot (along an east-facing brick wall, where it is sheltered from winter wind and warms quickly after sunrise). While her mandevilla usually survives, it loses most or all of its leaves and the stems die back most of the way to the ground. It also won't put out new growth until the weather is truly warm. So, there are beautiful blooming mandevillas in the garden centers when hers is just peeking out its first growth. But hers will usually catch up, since it has an established root system.

My mandevillas have always been in front of my house, but unfortunately, this is a west-facing wall which gets hit by winter winds. Also, since that area doesn't get sun until past noon, it is slow to warm on cold mornings. Most winters kill my mandevillas. One mild winter I had 2 out of three plants survive, but only one of them was really vigorous during the second year.

If you don't think yours will survive in its location, you could carefully dig it up before the first frost and overwinter it indoors in a large pot. It'll be quite a job untangling it from your trellis without breaking it too badly, but with patience it can be done. You'll have to find some support for it to hang on indoors.

Since I don't have the space indoors for such big plants, I just replaced my mandevillas each year. But this spring I planted passion flower vines instead. They've done well this summer, and supposedly will be winter-hardy here. (I'm crossing my fingers!)

o

L_in_FL - My husband's grandmother, who is here in Panama City as well, has Passion Flowers all over the front of her house and they have been there for years! She said they get really out of control and she even finds them growing in her lawn now. So, I don't think you'll have a problem with it wintering! LOL Maybe I'll ask her for one for the trellis next year if my Mandevilla doesn't survive. I think I may cut it back, mulch heavy and pray!

o
Also

Also, I got 2 picture of a flower from the hibiscus in picture #7. Maybe this will help in identification?

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Lovely pics... i absolutely love your pitcher plant!

o

Awesome pics of beautiful plants. Thanks for sharing!

I've always known pothos as Scindapsus in the rare occasions a latin name is mentioned for this plant. Seems to be like coleus, there's rarely any confusion with these common names. But you had been told "Epipremnum" so I googled to see if this was one of the plants recently renamed or if there are actually 2 kinds of pothos from different genuses? My research was inconclusive although I didn't go too long, figuring someone more knowledgeable than me will let us know.

L_in_FL there are several different passion vines, but I think most are hardy to zone 8. Just wanted to warn you the caterpillars of the gulf fritillary butterflies will likely eat every shred of leaf and even the buds/flowers off of this vine if a mama lays her eggs on it. You mentioned this is on the front of your house, so this may not be the look you're after on a front wall even if you are in full favor of feeding some butterfly caterpillars. If it's new this year, without nectar-source plants nearby, that's probably why you haven't had this happen this year.

o

CC (Erin),

The difference of the variegated epipremnum aureum between the mother plant and 'offspring' is most likely caused by a difference in exposure to light. I find my variegated plants will differ in intensity as to where they are kept or placed.

Lou

o

Erin, I enjoyed the tour!

Carol B.

o

Lou - that would make sense since the mother plant is inside the house and the other one was on my back patio until yesterday when I relocated to the bathroom which was the original intent for it when I propagated it.

o

Purpleinpopp - Yipes! Well...I guess when the caterpillars find them I will have to figure out something else. I don't see other people with passion flowers near me, so maybe it will take a while for them to find mine. I can hope, right?

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 8:22

Nice collection, corpsman! Enjoyed your groupies.

Anna

o

Nice pictures! I have had several of them before we moved. Can't grow hibiscus well here. The double is my favorite. I think the palm tree is a Washingtonia. You should be able to root that succulent by breaking off a bottom leaf and sticking it in the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here