Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

I'd like to grow bunching onions in my garden near the Ocean in southern Brevard. After some research, I discovered that the kind I want is allium fistulosum. Dave's garden lists 7 varieties. Can anyone tell me, what variety is most likely to do best in my area, whether I should plant seeds or sets (do these even come as sets?), and can I plant now or would it be best to wait until spring? Can I just plant "green onions" from the grocery store? I admit I tried that and they died.

Comments (8)

• whgille
    13 years ago

Hi Timetraveler

I am not an onion expert but last year I planted the granex type short season onions red and white and used them as scallions as well. I still have leftover dry onions outside in my porch. I planted sets that are very inexpensive, I got them at the local feed store and the big box stores. I like the convenience of planting sets, is a fool proof method to grow onions. They will take any soil, and sun or shade. They would prefer a full sun location with an amended soil of course. You can also start from seeds like right now to be transplanted later, it is also cheap and you can get a lot of varieties. Sets are also available through the internet from various sources, it is your choice. Onions are a good deal to plant, I had a lot of them even though I kept giving away.

Silvia

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    13 years ago

You can find seeds @ many stores that carry vegetable seeds. I just started seeds of 'Crimson Forest' bunching onions - they're so easy to transplant, they can be started in a flat (I used the bottom of a clear plastic berry container).

Make sure to check the date, tho - onion seeds are short-lived - if they're from last year, they likely won't sprout.

• captstinky
    13 years ago

I've never had luck with seeds, but have had great success with sets. I got some years ago form a friend, so I can't help with a variety. We save some sets, or actually small bulbs- like creamer onions, in a homemade hardware cloth box each year to replant. I stuck mine in a couple weeks ago and they are several inches tall. Go for it

• seedsnsprouts
    13 years ago

We planted some Evergreen White Bunching from seed about 10 days ago. Checked on them this morning and sure enough, right on schedule, we've got sprouts.

• timetraveler zone 9b Melbourne Beach, Florida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Has anyone grown Heshiko?

• rednofl
    13 years ago

I grew Ishikura improved, Summer TS and Leeks all started by seed early October last year they are slow to grow pest free and stand up to the heat There are a few still in the ground and seem to be multiplying. They taste similar to the green onions you get locally. I also have a noid that grows about1/4 to 3/8" diameter and has a little garlic flavor they are now flowering and will produce a new bunch of 50 or so from the seed pods when they fall over. they are very tasty in stir-fry's. Look for asian vegetable seeds

• passion4tropicals
    12 years ago

I'm a little late to the topic...

I started evergreen bunching onions from seeds about three years ago. I'm happy to report they are still thriving and multiplying here in the Orlando area. I cut them all the time for cooking and fresh use. I have a six-foot row that started as a single row and now is about three-feet wide. It keeps two of us in fresh and cooked onions most of the year; though they get a little tough through the summer and are better cooked. They bloom beautifully every spring and provide lots of seeds for friends. After they bloom, they each split into four or five individual onions. They also split other times of the year, but usually only into two.

I've just started some Lisbon bunching onions which Tom MacCubbin (I think it was Tom) says do well here. They form more of a bulb than the evergreens do.

BTW, I never have to do anything except provide food and water for them. Pests are nonexistent so far.

Hope this helps and I wish you great success!

• passion4tropicals
    12 years ago

They also survived a huge oak falling on them this spring. You wouldn't know it looking at them today.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations