Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkgator

Lemongrass Seeds- how do I grow them?!?

pinkgator
11 years ago

I just got 500 Seeds Lemon Grass Seeds Cymbopogon flexuosus... And I have no idea how to plant them... I am in Lakeland, Fl... There are no directions on the bag... It was just a smaller ziploc with the name on it..

Any ideas!?

Comments (9)

• corar4gw
    11 years ago

Lemon grass is tough. Just plant your seed in starter pots as you would any other veggie. When they get 6-8 inched tall they can be put in ground - but I would protect them this first winter. They like full sun and plenty of water. If even half of your seeds germinate, you will have enough lemon grass to sell to every Thai restaurant in Lakeland.
    I love Thai and Oriental food and use my lemon grass a lot.
    If you would like some recipes and tips, just send me an email with LEMON GRASS on the subject line. Good luck!!

• pinkgator
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do I just put one seed in each pot?

• whgille
    11 years ago

Pinkgator

Lemongrass is very inexpensive as a plant, I have one for a few years, it gets very tall so one is enough for me. After a bad winter, they always come back from the roots, I also trim mine drastically to keep it in bounds once a year.

If you start from seeds it might take a long time to grow, one or two seeds per cup is probably good enough...

My lemongrass today

Silvia

• corar4gw
    11 years ago

pinkgator, you can always use the extra plants as pass-alongs to neighbors, etc., or swap for other plants you'd like to have. cora

• muscledbear
    11 years ago

Hi Pinkgator:

I started lemongrass from seed this spring, got the seeds mid-late April. I put about 20 or so in a 4" pot with regular miracle grow potting mix. I just had them outdoors, and they were doing great. Once the heavy rains started in late spring, I lost about half the seedlings. (new to Florida, and one of the lessons learned is to keep seedlings covered)

But the rest thrived and flourished. The plants are about 3' tall and growing well. I found them extremely easy to start from seed.

Photo was taken last weekend. Plant is about 5 months old from seed.

• whgille
    11 years ago

Kathy

Are you and hubby coming to the garden party? I hope to see you both! Then you can see my lemongrass. I don't do anything to it, no water, no fertilizer and a big pruning in winter, it always comeback. The only water that gets is with the sprinklers when they are on. I like it in a tea mixed with other herbs like mint, camomile and others.
    Some people buy it at the oriental market where they sell it with some roots and plant them.

Silvia

• klflorida
    11 years ago

Yes Silvia, we are planning to be there. Terry wants to bring a sweet potato dish grown from the potatoes you gave to us.

Hmm, so the lemongrass needs little care - good to know.

• whgille
    11 years ago

Kathy, I am so glad that you guys can come. The idea of the sweet potato dish is fantastic! I will have different banana breads to sample from the bananas from the garden...also jams and pickles from the harvest.

Looking forward to see you both at the party!

Silvia