Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody Here Intentionally Grow Mushrooms?

Posted by brute Florida 9B (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 15:59

Part of my property is shaded by several large live oaks. A few years ago, after cutting off some large branches, I got the bright idea that since this area stays in permanent shade anyway, why not try growing edible mushrooms on these logs?
So, I sent away for a "lion's mane" spore kit from a company out in Washington state. After impregnating the logs with the spores, I sat back and waited for something delicious to happen.
And waited, and waited, and waited.
No dice!
Can edible mushrooms be grown in Southwest Florida at all? Should I try another species?
This mail-order company had a zillion kinds of mushroom spores in their rather attractive catalog.
Has anybody here done this?
Are there any mushroom-growing forums on GardenWeb? I can't seem to find any.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody Here Intentionally Grow Mushrooms?

I did in Tampa Bay a few years ago. They were a bit of a pain. I did get a few, but man are they picky. I actually cannot remember what kind they were. I guess that is because I decided to never bother again.

that said, if you can get the correct climate, the kits they sell (grow in supplied box, etc) are good. I have done that a few times over the winter and kept the kit in the garage. Got lucky on the temperature and got tons of mushrooms. I grew white button and giant portabella. They were the best tasting mushrooms I have ever had.

o

There was a class offered in Fort Myers that I thought sounded like fun till I found out it cost $125. Anyway my point is apparently they can be grown in zone 10. Although at that price I wont be trying.

o

I live in 9b & am using dowels in oak logs, trying to grow some shiitake mushrooms. I started it end-June and am keeping fingers Xed. I was told it will take at least 10mos if not longer to sprout. My 1st attempt so I'm not sure what to expect.

Brute, how did you impregnate your logs? Did you drill, insert & then wax them?

fern

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here