Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have fruit split ?

Posted by gatormomx2 9 westvolusiafl (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 7, 08 at 16:26

Due to the prolonged drought followed by record rainfall , many of my citrus fruits are splitting . It is particularly prevalent on the Minneola Tangelos - formerly known as Honeybells . Found more fruit split on an orange tree today .

Anyone else noticing this ? Is it just on citrus or have you seen it on other fruit trees ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have fruit split ?

Yes, I have had the same problem with my orange and grapefruit. Also, it seems I am having a lot more 'fruit drop' on my grapefruit than normal.

I also lost a lot of new growth leaves during the drought on my orange tree. No leaves have grown back and it's now just 'dead wood'.

I don't think I will have much fruit to enjoy this year.

o

I haven't had any trouble with my various citrus splitting. The only thing that I noticed is that for a while the excess rains weakened the flavor of my ripening persimmons. They seemed to have returned to normal sugar content again.

I understand that particular varieties of citrus are much more prone to splitting than others. Also, I have an irrigation system so I do keep my plants evenly moist.

o

Yeppers, many of mine are splitting too. The Calamondin has end-rot, on many fruits, from the high humidity.

My citrus are on their own during drought seasons, since I cannot water 50 trees by hand and we are still under watering restrictions.

My oldest Meyer Lemon tree looks awful. So many fruits that the branches are all arched downward. All you can see of this normally 10' tree is bare limbs arching down, with fruits nearly on the ground.

My Navel Oranges, and Satsumas look great though, and the Lime trees are producing like mad!

Lisa

o

I have had the same luck with my Persian lime - good production and no fruit split . Other citrus have much less crop than last season . One thing surprised me - I have had almost no fruit drop on any trees - yet .

From U of F :
During winter, moderate drought stress can be beneficial because drought can increase flower induction. In addition, appropriately controlled drought stress may be of use to manipulate root and shoot growth to favor fruit growth and yield.

Unfortunately , our recent drought was not during the winter . We'll see what this coming season brings . Better quality fruit or watery tasteless citrus ??

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Tree Stresses

o

No splitting, but my Persian Lime is dropping fruit like crazy. Mineola Tangelo is loaded like never before-doing good.
Meyer Lemon has a few,no dropping or splitting.
Blood Orange has 1 fruit-so far so good. Sunburst Tangarine is also loaded & doing good. I water with a hose occasionally-more when we go awhile without rain. Otherwise, I basically don't do anything special.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here