Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attack of the frogs :)

Posted by Scarlet09 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 22, 11 at 16:37

My backyard has been inundated with small, mostly brown frogs (with an occassional larger one seen). Perhaps they are the cricket frog I have read about online? Or maybe babies of the larger one?

Anyway, I've noticed several of them on my veggies. I know they tend to eat bugs, but any reason why I should be concerned about them getting comfy in the plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attack of the frogs :)

You must have been having a lot of rain, or be near a body of water. My grandmother always called these "rain frogs", although they are really probably toads. They won't eat your veggies. They're probably just there for the sprinkler and the bugs. If they start developing large, bulging eyes and climbing on trees, kill them. They are Cuban tree frogs.

o

Thanks, but I don't think I could kill a frog! Maybe relocate them :)

We don't near live water and I don't necessarily think our rain accumulation has been that great, but who knows!

o

Do your frogs have little "suction cup" looking toes? I saw one of these on our front door last night. He looked different than the Northern toads I grew up with.

o

Cuban tree frogs are invasive and eat the native tree frogs. Much as I hate killing them I do.

o

I haven't noticed the toes. Most are really small and difficult to catch! I will look closer as I find more.

I mentioned this discussion to a colleague and he said the most humane way is to put them in the freezer in a bag. They will fall asleep before dying and apparently won't notice anything?

o

Yep, that's how I kill mine (Cuban tree frogs). I'm not into killing critters, but the others are right. They eat the lizards and native frogs that eat the bugs. so, I kill them.

o

Scarlet, take a good look at them. Chances are good they are just the juvenile southern toads that are native down here. There are at least hundreds if not thousands of little ones in my yard during the day right now. The adults are seen mostly at dusk or dawn or if you happen to find their house. When they are little they are a medium to dark brown or reddish brown, and as they get older and a little bigger they get bumps on their head and some of them have a few markings. They are great pest control and I would never intentionally kill one. They will not hurt any of your plants. They are very loud at night during the summer though. I suspect that's what you have too.

Here is a link that might be useful: southern toad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here