Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are my oxblood lilies pink?

Posted by sun_worshiper FL 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 16:46

I bought these bulbs last year, and this is the first year blooming. They are supposed to be a deep red. The vendor I bought them from doesn't sell the pink variety, so these should be red. Anybody know if amount of sun, or nutrients or soil ph or something affects color?

Here's what they look like:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are my oxblood lilies pink?

Are all the bulbs blooming that color? Could be a sport - &/or a not very reliable vendor....

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSLFl (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 6, 11 at 11:11

I did a search on them and found they come in several colors including the pink. :o)

o

So far 5 of 15 bulbs have bloomed - all this color. The vendor is The Southern Bulb Company - which as far as I know is a reputable vendor. I have a question out to them actually about the color too. I know there is a pink variety, but the vendor doesn't sell that one. So seems unlikely they had a warehouse mixup or the like.

I may try moving these bulbs to another location and see if they come up a different shade next year.

o

Well, the vendor has tracked down the issue, and indeed there was a mixup with their supplier. These are the pink variety instead of red. Great customer service I have to say - they admitted the problem and are going to send me red replacements when they identify a more reliable source.

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSLFl (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 14:20

I think you lucked out now you'll have two color of the that bulb. Very pretty. :o)

o

Indeed! I agree that I lucked out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here