Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tannatonk23_fl_z9a

Just a few pictures

tannatonk23_fl_z9a
10 years ago

Hi there. I used to frequent this forum a few years ago. I've been in my house almost 8 years now and the yard is finally shaping up. There was really nothing here when I started. Just some grass which I've mostly removed. Planted some things on the cheap (hubby used to dig things up on job sites that were headed for the trash and he would drag them home) like the beauty berry stick he brought home in a 5 gallon bucket. It has thrived and spread beautifully. I've been mulching faithfully and boy has that paid off in spades! I have some great soil now.

Anyway I just wanted to hello and share some pictures.

Comments (11)

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Guess I can't post more than one at a time from my iPad :(

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Native hibiscus. The hummingbirds sure like this one. Wish I had thought to take a photo when it was loaded with its red blooms.

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Coral honeysuckle with star jasmine mixed in, shrimp plant, fire bush. All much loved by the butterfly's and hummingbirds.

• annafl
    10 years ago

Beautiful garden, tannatonk. You've created a haven for creatures. Thanks for sharing. Ana

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Loved your pictures, I thought I'd show you my Beauty Magnolaberry! The Beauty Berry decided to grow into my magnolia tree and my husband wondered what new species we had growing.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Your hybrid plant is so cool! Beauty Berry is a pretty plant and I don't have one yet. What is its normal shape? Is it a lanky, gangly sprawling plant? I don't think it is a vine, but I might be wrong.

Also, can they be rooted from cuttings? Or are they easier grown from seed/berries? I passed one today on public property and noticed it for the first time because of the bright berries! I'm wondering what is the easiest way to propagate from that one.

Lastly, are they invasive in any way?

Thanks!
    Carol

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

Beautyberry plants are kind of leggy/gangly shrubs if left to grow on their own. However, they respon real well to pruning and pruning them back once or twice a year will result in fuller shrubs. It is said you can even cut them back to the roots in early spring and they will come back looking much lusher.

They can be rooted from cuttings, but I think they were one of the plants that are rather time sensitive on when you should take cuttings. Too early or late and they tend to fail. Seeds, however, are super easy to sprout. I got my beautyberry plants from clipping a 6 inch length that had two nodes of berries on it. I threw them all in a pot and covered with soil. Come spring time I had 30+ beautyberry sprouts coming up.

This post was edited by Leekle2ManE on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 19:21

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Thanks, Leekle. Did you wait for any sign that the berries were ripe or ready for sowing?

Carol

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Hi,
    In my yard they spread readily and I have plenty of seeds. I also could pot up some babies. They are leggy, but you can plant stuff around them.

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Love the Beauty/MagnoliaBerry! Very pretty. Yes, the BB can get leggy, but as mentioned above, they can take a hard pruning to help with filling them out. I plan on doing that early next spring. After the robins come through since they love the berries. I don't consider them invasive at all, but they do self sow. I've potted and shared a couple and also left a couple in place.

Here is a better shot of one to show its not too leggy. This one shares space with Pentas, cats whiskers, Wendy's wish salvia, caladiums, etc.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

Carol,
    I just got them while they were purple. It was probably November when I grabbed them.

Edit: Actually, now that I'm a little more awake and have had more time to think on it, I remember that when I picked the berries, I made note that some were starting to wither and drop off. So that might be something to look for.

This post was edited by Leekle2ManE on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 8:03

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County