Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone See Any Hummingbirds In SW Florida Yet?

Posted by brute Florida 9B (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 11 at 17:44

Do they migrate through southwest Florida in the fall? I had a couple coming around the feeder last May, but they disappeared and the ants and bees became such a nuisance that I brought the feeder in.
Should I put it back out now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone See Any Hummingbirds In SW Florida Yet?

ditch the feeder, look up plants that attract them in your area....no feeders here and we have a bunch.....

o

I've had a female on the firebush for the past couple weeks. (Bradenton)

o

Yes , in Jupiter on 9/2

o

In Deland this week.

o

I saw a male last weekend on a firebush in my yard here in St Pete. First time I've ever seen one here.

John

o

• Posted by sis3 9b N. Pinellas (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 14:15

I have had a female hummer in my front garden all summer, in fact I see her now from my desk! She appears to be feeding from the Mexican Petunias at the moment but it may be that she is actually on the Coral Honeysuckle behind the Petunias! Last night at dusk she was attempting to fly in through our pool screen! It may be wishful thinking but I think I have spotted a tiny hummer once or twice in my garden too - is this the right time for babies?

o

• Posted by brute Florida 9B (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 16:13

WhooHoo!
I hung up the feeder this morning and a female Ruby-Throated has appeared three times, the latest visit just a few seconds ago.
Let the season begin!

o

Yes - I have them, but only from Mid-august to late September. I am in Tampa, FL. Snapped a photo of one on my red fire spiker in link below. Great shot, very lucky. Big file, might take a minute or two to load. Enjoy!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird in my back yard

o

I have lived in Naples for 15 years, and I saw my very first hummer today. It was feeding on my firecracker plant!!!!

o

BusyBeeSuz,
I was in the same boat. We lived here for 8 years and I never saw one. I tried a feeder but as Brute said the feeder got to be a mess. Three years ago I saw one on my firebush. Now I see them on there for months at a time. I only see one at a time though. I'm not sure if it is the same one or different ones. A friend in NY had 3 feeders out and would have several feeding at once.

o

I have hummers this fall. Only once before have I saw one in the 10 years I have been here. They are fun to watch but I only see them at dusk when it is harder to see them.

o

I saw my first one ever a month or two ago, then saw another last weekend. In north Florida saw lots but never south. Till now. Heck I never knew they actually existed growing up in S Florida! Thought they were like unicorns!

o

I'm in Lakeland and presently I have three - one is a returning female Rufous. She first came in Jan. 2010 and stayed till April. She was caught and banded in Feb. of that year. She returned in Dec. 2010 and stayed till March. She was caught again in Jan. and found to be healthy. She came back for a third time a week ago last Friday. You can see the band in the picture.

The other two are male Ruby-throated. One is an adult and the other is an immature male I think. He may stay the winter - he seems comfortable with us being out in the yard and will fly down near us to feed. I think I have had about 10 different ones come into the yard since Aug.29th when the first migrating one came thru. Each stayed about a week to 10 days then moved on.

Photobucket

o

Wow Mboston, I'm so impressed with your detail and the photos that capture so aptly these illusive creatures. Good job.

o

Yes. This picture was taken in Snapper Village, Miami at 117th. ave and Sunset Dr. The picture was taken by my friend Diana about 2 days after I installed the feeder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here