Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

Hurray for foliage!(a href='http://photobucket.com' target='_blan

annafl
16 years ago

You all probably remember that I am very fond of foliage. I really like flowers, but I LOVE foliage. Please show your favorite foliage combinations in your yard. Here are a few of mine:

This is euphorbia cotinifolia (from HD of all places), with acalypha wilkesiana 'Java White'

An assortment

beautyberry with acanthocereus pentagonus

costus

Anna

Comments (32)

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

The neighbors moved things and lost the label. Now I can't remember what this beautiful ginger is!

Mixed foliage

Prince of Orange Phil

Miss Andrea Ti (With leaves like these, who needs flowers?

Giant Variegated Phil

Emperor Curcuma (Foliage AND flowers!)

TigerLily, Black Magic, Noris Coleus

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Amber, I remember your Prince of Orange from when I visited. He is handsome as ever!

Anna, your pics and gardens are stunning, girl!

• countrynest
    16 years ago

All is so beautiful!
    Amber, the picture with the ginger that you do not know the name, the first picture, what is the plant that has crinkle leaf, under the ginger? I have a bunch of it that grew on its own. I really like it.

Bromeliads
    Felix

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

That's basket grass. It's a native and I love it. I really like to encourage it as shady ground cover.

• countrynest
    16 years ago

Hi amber, I did a search for "basket grass" and it came up with something totally different from what Im looking in yor photo.
    What I'm looking in your photo are branches with leaves that look wrinkle.
    Felix

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

All I've ever heard it called is basket grass.

• ginibee
    16 years ago

Wow! What beautiful foliage pics.

Anna - love all your colors of foliage, but intrigued by the red crinkled leaf in the second pic. Is that a begonia?

Amber - that 'prince of orange' is a real beauty. Glad you posted the ti 'Miss Andrea' as I have that one and didn't know the name. One of my favorite tis.

Felix - your bromeliads are different than any I've seen. Very striking!

Please keep the pictures coming.

Ginny

• kew_tip
    16 years ago

Felix,

The plant in Amber's picture is also known as Woodgrass (Oplismenus hirtellus). In my garden it is treated as a weed, but for some it works as a groundcover. Each year it dies down in winter and I think I've eradicated it, but it always re-appears in summer!

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Ginny, I was going to ask Anna the same question, I love the burgandy leaf plant in the second photo. I love them all, but that one really caught my eye. :o)

• annafl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Amber, that first ginger is zingiber collinsii. I have been admiring them at Gingersrus. Absolutely lovely. Gorgeous ti with unusual coloring, too.

Felix, very unusual broms. Do they get that much coloring in the shade?

Ginny and Katkin, yes, it is a bromeliad. Don't know the name- I keep meaning to try to figure it out. A small piece was dug up for me bareroot from someone's garden last year. By the time I got it home, it was so wilted, I cut all the leaves off but one, and tried my luck at leaf cuttings. By George, it worked! I got nine plants out of it. It was a very slow process of babying and almost a year's time, but look at them now! I don't think they are at their final size yet. Really like the crinkling.

Anna

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

Anna, thanks so much. Now I've labeled it in my photobucket set, so no matter what the neighbors do, I've got it.

It's a surprisingly sturdy plant for all it's fancy looks. The neighbors killed it off twice and it came back both times.

• KaraLynn
    16 years ago

Here are some of my plants with neat foliage.

Variegated Crepe ginger

Silver Comet dancing ginger

Ruby Queen dancing ginger - I love this one for both the foliage and the flowers!

Dancing Cranes ginger

Shazaam peacock ginger - Can you tell that I really love gingers?!!

Papyrus

I think the name of this is Raven ginger but I'm not sure. With some cordyline and peacock ginger behind it.

Variegated Flax Lily

Split-Leaf Philodendron

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

Here are some of my foliage

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Here's some foliage from my gardens.
    {{gwi:948335}}
    {{gwi:808324}}
    {{gwi:948336}}
    {{gwi:948337}}
    {{gwi:948338}}
    {{gwi:948339}}
    {{gwi:948341}}

• countrynest
    16 years ago

Oh,my. Such colors and shapes and texture,O my!
    It is a treasure guys.I look at these posts and I'm
    ready o do more work in th yard.

Amber, I found it. When I Google "basket grass" it comes p with something else but when I Google "basketgrass" It shows the picture of your plant.

Kew tip,
    Thanks for your help.

Anna, The bromeliads are in shade. They multiply very well.

Karalynn, The raven ginger are so beautiful. My peacock ginger did not do well at all last year but this year they are doing great. I'm hoping to see them blooming.
    Have yours bloomed yet this year?
    Felix

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

Karalynn, that silver comet globba is just beautiful! Envy envy! How hard is it to grow?

Felix, are you sure that brom is a brom? Looks like it might be a Calissta fragrans?

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    16 years ago

ok, i gotta admit, i'm NOT a foliage person. if it doesn't bloom, it composts... that said, i accidentally get some pretty good foliage combos... this one is papaloquelita (papalo), a mexican herb & hibiscus acostella, which has subtle but wonderful russet blooms in spring and fall. it doesn't come across that well in this photo, but the papalo is bluish green, succulent, serrated round leaves; the hibiscus a lobed and deep, brick red.

i'm bringing a bunch of rooted cuttings of both to the orlando swap...

• annafl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, wow! More eye candy.

Karalynn, those gingers are gorgeous. Each is more beautiful than the last! How does mother nature make those from dirt and a little genetic material?

Jan1, lovely pothos vine, but I'm confused about the second photo. Is it a red elephant ear, a banana? And what about the cute flower? What does it belong to?

Cindee, love the musa rojo and the vanilla vine with nubbins promising sturdy, clinging roots.

Ill, whether you willfully created it or not, that is a stunning foliage combo. I find that papalo intriguing. What do you use the herb for?

Anna

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Anna, the pergola will fall over before that Vanilla Orchid does. Earlier spring it was trying to crawl through the slats above where the sun would burn it. I got a piece of driftwood to train it horizontally under the pergola. You can not imagine how sore my fingers were trying to pry the roots lose of their existing hold, and re-route them!

Jan I want to know about that cute fuzzy flower too!

• PRO
    16 years ago

Hi Anna & Cindee, second photo is Croton leaves and flowers. I love these little pom pom flowers, which it turns to berries and the seedlings are popping up.

• KaraLynn
    16 years ago

Felix, yes all my peacock gingers have been blooming.

Amber, the silver comet globba is very easy to grow although it hasn't spread much yet.

• annafl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a container foliage combo sort of. The striped plant is that christia obcordata that hopeful had mentioned in another thread. It is still alive about 10 days after purchase. The begonia was a small cutting I received in the mail, which I rooted and is now a small plant. The last one is aechmea perez. I really like this brom.

Anna

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Anna, that christia obcordata is so interesting. It's shape reminds me of a zebra longwing!

• PRO
    16 years ago

Anna, that christia obcordata so cool looking! what is behind of beauty berries? is that dragon fruit?
    karalynn, Ruby Queen dancing ginger is abeautiful!

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Karalynn, I just wanted to tell you that the ruby queen I got from you last year, bloomed for me this year and thanks for tradeing. If you want to trade again send an email directly to me, as I'd love to have some silver comet and dancing cranes. ;o)

• manature
    16 years ago

All of these photos are to DIE for. I love foliage, too, though not any more than I love flowers. But the good thing about foliage is that when nothing else in your yard is blooming, it still looks great. With all my coleus and things like my false roselle (hibiscus acetosella), my yard still has strong color going on.

These photos have ALL inspired me, with your great combos, especially! Karalynn, where oh where can I find that Ruby Queen Dancing Ginger? It would be stunning in my big tropical bed (You say you can't you see that bed? It's right under the BIG FAT LOG PILE that's still there from the hurricanes!) It would also look wonderful beside my big pond. (What? You can't see that either? Well, use your imagination...that's what I've been doing for three years! *heavy sigh* SOMEDAY it will all be where I envision it!)

Thanks to you all for sharing such beautiful photos!

Marcia

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

Anna, that Cristia is lovely, and so is the begonia. I bet it looks great with so many things.

• KaraLynn
    16 years ago

The best place I've found for buying gingers is Liz and Richard's Birds and Blooms nursery, also called Gingerland.
    13855 NE 47th Ave.
    Anthony, Fl 32617
    phone/fax 352-620-8681

They have so many different types of gingers that make me drool every time I go there! If you're ever anywhere near the area I would suggest making a stop there. Liz is great and loves to show people around their nursery talking about the plants.

Kat, it's good to hear that your ruby queen is doing so well. Mine's doing very well too. I won't be able to trade any of my dancing cranes or silver comet since they haven't spread any since I first planted them. In fact, the dancing cranes haven't done well at all this year, I'm not sure why.

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Karalynn, ok I understand,it has been a tough year for many plants, just not enough rain. How is the plant I traded you doing? I don't remember what it was now.

• KaraLynn
    16 years ago

Kat, I think it was another ginger, a torch ginger maybe? I'm not sure. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's doing well and has several stalks on it.

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Ok, that's great to hear. :o)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    5 years ago

Bumping this back up. It's worth a second round at the top of our Forum. :)