Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer lemons rotting?

Posted by echobelly 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 18:13

I planted a meyer lemon tree two years ago. The tree is covered with fruit, I've had to prop up the branches so they don't hang on the ground. Some of the lemons are just starting to ripen, so when I went to pick them today, noticed that all the ones that were mostly yellow had started to rot. I was told to leave them on the tree till they're ripe, now I'm thinking maybe I should pick them when they're still have a lot of green. What do the rest of you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer lemons rotting?

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 6:46

I think I read somewhere they don't turn yellow like the ones you buy in the store when ripe. They are ripe when they only get a blush of yellow. Some one correct me if I am wrong. :o)

o

Mine are doing the same thing, last year they were nice and plump and yellow, this week when I went to pick some that were yellow, they were rotted on the bottom.
I'll be looking foward to some answers.
Happy Gardening
Carmen

o

The same thing has happened to me.

Last year they were ripe and yellow like a regular lemon. They never turned that dark yellow-orange like what I've seen in the store. Of course, they also weighed five times as much too.

This year I have had a lot of aborted fruit. My experience is that fungal infections scab over, then fall off wnd open little holes in the skin, and then beetles and rot get in there. This turns them dark yellow.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 18:58

I start to use my meyer lemons from the time that they are green to the time that are fully yellow, they are a little bit more tart when green but still delicious flavor!

I needed a lemon for my raw fresh zucchini salad and I was happy to find out that they are as good as I remember them.

Photobucket

Silvia

o

• Posted by jofus 9b/10a SW Fla (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 11:21

Recently I was given a large green Myers lemon from the owners tree. I have my own key lime tree so normally that's what I digest. I left the huge (4 x the size of my avg key lime ) Myers lemon on my kitchen counter and it only turned a light yellowish/light green color, but no rotting.
Have recently started freezing these lemons/limes after I read about the idea which came about upon some chef somewhere learning that 90% of the nutrients that fight all kinds of cancers/ailments are contained in the rind. So I now regularly grate up an entire frozen lemon or lime and sprinkle it on most foods, - the taste is great also ! Just passing along my tip of the day ! ( smile )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here