o
only happens once a year....

Posted by wallisadi deland (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 18:24

Photobucket Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: only happens once a year....

Oh, but it happens for a long time - I have several in my yard - they've been blooming for months, it seems.

What is the purple-blooming plant?

o

I think it's blue ginger, right?

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: ginger?

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 6:50

I love the fire spikes, my red, magenta and pink are all blooming now too. The purple will soon. :o)

o

Gorgeous! I love the purple.You have a green thumb. Start getting ready to bring them in for the winter. I hate bringing the plants in.

o

Hi Katkin,

I always knew there was red firespike, but I always suspected that the pink, magenta and purple firespike were really the same plant, depending upon the eye of the beholder. But now you have me second-guessing again; are there really distinctly different plants with pink, magenta and purple blooms?

If you were to ever have time, I would love to see a photo taken of blooms, one from each of color, laying side-by-side. If you have the spare time and spare blooms to take such a photo, would you throw in a red bloom, too, just for comparison?

Thanks!
Carol in Jacksonville

o

Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 16:47

Hey Carol,

I am so sorry but I am camera challenged!! I've never mastered the art of taking pictures or getting them on my pc.

There are diffinate differences in the colors of the firespike. The pink is very light, like bubble gum and could be called lavendar, which I think it is sometimes. The magenta is the color of burgandy wine and the purple is the color of the photo just posted by Wallisadi. And he also posted the red one, candy apple red. I hope that helps. :o)

o

Well ding-dang, that is good to know! Thanks, Katkin!

o

Photobucket feb. to march here....

o

Beautiful! The blue ginger start you shared with me last Xmas has two bloom stalks! It is so brilliantly colored, thanks so much for sharing, I just love it!

o

Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 6:52

I just love the blue ginger, but can't seem to grow it here. It just fades away, no matter what I do. I've tried it several times. Your photo is lovely. :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here