Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who wants some adenium (Desert Rose) seeds?

Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 11 at 18:24

I'm sure most of you have seen my pictures before; I've had quite a few seeds pods this year on two of my plants after cross-pollinating one of them two years ago. If any of you folks have an interest in germinating your own adenium seeds I pulled the wings off them tonight and have about 300 seeds to share this year. Send me an email with your mailing info and I'll send you 20 seeds each. Nows the time, these seeds germinate better when they are fresh....

Tom

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who wants some adenium (Desert Rose) seeds?

That's the strangest looking thing. I'll try. PM Sent.

o

• Posted by czfljo Daytona Beach-9A/B (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 7, 11 at 20:39

Tom! You are awesome. I just bought a 6 inch starter at the local Farmer's market this week or I would jump all over that! I'm pretty sure I will manage to kill it but I totally love those things!

Jo

o

Tom, you are, without a doubt, one of the kindest people I know! You constantly amaze me with your generosity!

o

Tommy Tomato Seed is at it again! What a super guy you are. :)

o

I'd love some Tom. Thanks so much.
Nancy

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 16:52

I sure would love some, very kind of you to offer....Thanks, sally

o

Hi Tom!
Me, too wants some seeds.

Can I send you some plumeria seeds in exchange?

Susie

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 18:39

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the kind words; I have to say that for the last few years though I honestly think it is Silvia who's taken my place when it comes to giving ;-)

So far I have requests for 200 seeds, I'll wait a few more days before mailing them out to make sure everyone that makes a request within the first week of this post gets an opportunity to try their hand at this, it is sure a lot of fun over the long run....

Tom

o

I do I do!!! Thank you for your generasity
Sent you an email

o

Hi I am new to this group and found it while looking up hawaiian portulaca that I also got at hd last year. It is doing great although in a plastic pot. Lots of sun - it just bloomed even with all the rain lately. I would love to take you up on your offer of Desert Rose seeds, if you still have some available. Please let me know how I go about sending you an e-mail- if via this venue or yahoo.
Thanks so very much, Sharon

o

sent you an email, thanks in advance for the seeds. Would love some plumeria seeds. Susieqsie, let me know what I can do for some seeds. We just purchased a house in Lehigh Acres and we have almost nothing in the way of plants. Let me know.

o

Tue, Sep 13, 11 at 18:30

Hi Folks,

I had almost 400 seeds, so far I've sent out 260...last call ;-)

Tom

o

I just got mine today! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

o

I got mine Tom. Thanks again.

o

Thanks from me, too Tom!

I'll be planting them tomorrow.

You're the bestest. . . . .

o

Wed, Sep 14, 11 at 19:36

Enjoy folks. One more request today, stragglers, now is the time...otherwise I'll have to start the last one hundred myself for swaps this fall :-)

Tom

o

Hi Tom,I'd like to try them.You sent me the everglades tomato seeds and they have done very well for me.I'll e-mail you.Debbie/Ga

o

Tom, I've received mine. Thank you so much!!!! :):)

o

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 17, 11 at 15:43

Thanks Tom I recieved mine.

Robert

o

Sat, Sep 17, 11 at 18:42

Enjoy folks, keep me posted on your germination rate...TWO packets of 20 seeds left, definitely LAST CALL :-) :-(

Tom

o

• Posted by chavez 9B - St Cloud (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 19:56

Thanks Tom! Have a few sprouts as we speak. Planted last tuesday if my memory serves me right.

I will take some pictures for this post.

o

• Posted by chavez 9B - St Cloud (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 21, 11 at 21:20

Pretty good germination rate for not really trying. Again thanks for the seeds:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Tom, sent you an email. LMK if you got it, Thanks

o

I have 8 poking through this morning. Hoping a few more come up, but will be happy with that.

o

Thanks for the seeds Tom! You're very generous! I might start mine today! Anything special I need to do?

o

Thu, Sep 22, 11 at 16:46

Looking good Chavez!

Tom, sent you an email. LMK if you got it, Thanks

Didn't I send you some seeds? I thought I did....

Coop, like my peppers and tomatoes I start them in 3oz solo bathroom cups slit at the bottom to drain. Just press them flat into the soil SLIGHTLY covering them, then keep the soil moist until they germinate. Once they come up keep the soil drier, better to spray them rather than water them at that point until they get a little size, otherwise they may rot away. At about three months you should be able to move them into a little larger container.

Tom

o

Actually Tom I'm trying to send you a pink firespike cutting if you're still interested.

o

Ok one more question Tom! How do you get the base of these plants to be bulbous and gnarly looking?

o

Sat, Sep 24, 11 at 9:46

Last packet of seeds is going out today, no more request please.

Tom

o

Mine still haven't germinated :-( it's been a week. Can you tell patients is not my virtue?

o

Corps, mine took a little over a week. So, don't give up yet. I had a total of 10 germinate and are all healthy and happy in the potting shed. They are getting their 3rd and 4th leaves right now. Guess I'll have to work on getting them in bigger pots next week. :)

o

damn, I got mold on mine. Wish I could blame the Burpee green house but it was most likely "user error."

I planted them about 2-3 weeks ago I guess but no germination. Let them dry out in the sun inside the mix and then just spray without enclosing them.

How long should I give them before I call it a loss?

o

Ok it's been almost 3 weeks and still no sign of germination. I'm starting over! I followed your directions tom and I got nothing! Pooh! I didn't use them all so I'm going to try again. This time I'm going to place them in my front office that stays warm and gets bright indirect light.

o

I got your seeds today. Perfect timing! It's my birthday. I grew them once at a nursery I worked in in Vero Beach. We always just squirted them with a hose. They sure were the most exciting and weird looking seedlings I've ever grown.

o

I also had a great year with seed pods. I bought two larger adenium w/seed pods already on them, then my others got jealous and put on pods as well....they started bursting open in July...'& I've been starting seeds ever since. I have a nursery here wanting to buy my babies next Spring. We'll see how that goes. Thankfully I have room in my greenhouse. What color are yours Tom? Will they all be true to color or will there be cross pollination of other colors?

o

Mine did nt make it,I think mine were put thru a machine that made them "paper" thin. I water them and I thought I had the right admisphere for them but...they did not want live for me.

Tnks for sending them Tom
Carmen

o

I gave up! LOL The second round I did never germinated either. Mine too were paper thin. I wonder if that's the problem. I think I may just end up buying a plant. I appreciate you sending the seeds Tom! I don't know why they won't germinate for me. LOL

o

CARMEN, 5 of mine made it.. They are coming along very slowly, but are still alive.. I am willing to share..You live close by so let me know..
BTW the plants you gave me are doing great..
Maxine

o

I am looking for some desert rose seeds. I have four plants ranging from 4-8 years and would like to try to grow some from seedlings. These are so beautiful and I love them however I am a newbie to the green thumb world. I live in St. Pete Florida and hear this is a great area for these plants. Are these seeds sold anywhere?

o

Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 19:19

Hi Marilyn,

I only have two sets of pods from this spring and they are still 2-3 months out from maturity. Lots of folks sell seed but like many seeds, the fresher they are the higher the germination rate. And, bear in mind it will be 10 years before you have a mature plant, but they sure are fun to watch over time. If you do buy some seed just BARELY cover them, too deep and they won't germinate.

Tom

o

Marilyn, I just recieved 4 seeds of Adenium obesium Apollo from a trade. Do you have anything to trade me for them? Maggie

o

If you have any seeds left for the desert rose plants I would like to try and grow some , Thanks , Monty

o

Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 17:59

Sorry Monty, no pods right now :-(

Tom

o

I am really wanting to grow some of these this year if anyone still has some seeds left?

o

My lotus and supermoon seedlings it was easy to grow from seed I got them from top tropic online which is Florida based. I do have to full size desert roses as well and these plants well plants for me in general are addictive :)
I grow them all indoors here in Baltimore, MD it's summer but I do mainly indoor plants due to heavy clay soil. Digging in that is too much trouble

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here