Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Who wants some adenium (Desert Rose) seeds?

tomncath
12 years ago

I'm sure most of you have seen my pictures before; I've had quite a few seeds pods this year on two of my plants after cross-pollinating one of them two years ago. If any of you folks have an interest in germinating your own adenium seeds I pulled the wings off them tonight and have about 300 seeds to share this year. Send me an email with your mailing info and I'll send you 20 seeds each. Nows the time, these seeds germinate better when they are fresh....

Tom

Comments (51)

• czfljo
    12 years ago

Tom! You are awesome. I just bought a 6 inch starter at the local Farmer's market this week or I would jump all over that! I'm pretty sure I will manage to kill it but I totally love those things!

Jo

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Tom, you are, without a doubt, one of the kindest people I know! You constantly amaze me with your generosity!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Tommy Tomato Seed is at it again! What a super guy you are. :)

• teka2rjleffel
    12 years ago

I'd love some Tom. Thanks so much.
    Nancy

• saldut
    12 years ago

I sure would love some, very kind of you to offer....Thanks, sally

• SusieQsie_Fla
    12 years ago

Hi Tom!
    Me, too wants some seeds.

Can I send you some plumeria seeds in exchange?

Susie

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the kind words; I have to say that for the last few years though I honestly think it is Silvia who's taken my place when it comes to giving ;-)

So far I have requests for 200 seeds, I'll wait a few more days before mailing them out to make sure everyone that makes a request within the first week of this post gets an opportunity to try their hand at this, it is sure a lot of fun over the long run....

Tom

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

I do I do!!! Thank you for your generasity
    Sent you an email

• Shaz222
    12 years ago

Hi I am new to this group and found it while looking up hawaiian portulaca that I also got at hd last year. It is doing great although in a plastic pot. Lots of sun - it just bloomed even with all the rain lately. I would love to take you up on your offer of Desert Rose seeds, if you still have some available. Please let me know how I go about sending you an e-mail- if via this venue or yahoo.
    Thanks so very much, Sharon

• postlethwait
    12 years ago

sent you an email, thanks in advance for the seeds. Would love some plumeria seeds. Susieqsie, let me know what I can do for some seeds. We just purchased a house in Lehigh Acres and we have almost nothing in the way of plants. Let me know.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Folks,

I had almost 400 seeds, so far I've sent out 260...last call ;-)

Tom

• FLgardenmom
    12 years ago

I just got mine today! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• amberroses
    12 years ago

I got mine Tom. Thanks again.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    12 years ago

Thanks from me, too Tom!

I'll be planting them tomorrow.

You're the bestest. . . . .

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Enjoy folks. One more request today, stragglers, now is the time...otherwise I'll have to start the last one hundred myself for swaps this fall :-)

Tom

• debbiep_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Tom,I'd like to try them.You sent me the everglades tomato seeds and they have done very well for me.I'll e-mail you.Debbie/Ga

• cammunizm
    12 years ago

Tom, I've received mine. Thank you so much!!!! :):)

• rednofl
    12 years ago

Thanks Tom I recieved mine.

Robert

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Enjoy folks, keep me posted on your germination rate...TWO packets of 20 seeds left, definitely LAST CALL :-) :-(

Tom

• chavez
    12 years ago

Thanks Tom! Have a few sprouts as we speak. Planted last tuesday if my memory serves me right.

I will take some pictures for this post.

• chavez
    12 years ago

Pretty good germination rate for not really trying. Again thanks for the seeds:

• coffeemom
    12 years ago

Tom, sent you an email. LMK if you got it, Thanks

• FLgardenmom
    12 years ago

I have 8 poking through this morning. Hoping a few more come up, but will be happy with that.

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

Thanks for the seeds Tom! You're very generous! I might start mine today! Anything special I need to do?

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Looking good Chavez!

Tom, sent you an email. LMK if you got it, Thanks

Didn't I send you some seeds? I thought I did....

Coop, like my peppers and tomatoes I start them in 3oz solo bathroom cups slit at the bottom to drain. Just press them flat into the soil SLIGHTLY covering them, then keep the soil moist until they germinate. Once they come up keep the soil drier, better to spray them rather than water them at that point until they get a little size, otherwise they may rot away. At about three months you should be able to move them into a little larger container.

Tom

• coffeemom
    12 years ago

Actually Tom I'm trying to send you a pink firespike cutting if you're still interested.

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

Ok one more question Tom! How do you get the base of these plants to be bulbous and gnarly looking?

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Last packet of seeds is going out today, no more request please.

Tom

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

Mine still haven't germinated :-( it's been a week. Can you tell patients is not my virtue?

• FLgardenmom
    12 years ago

Corps, mine took a little over a week. So, don't give up yet. I had a total of 10 germinate and are all healthy and happy in the potting shed. They are getting their 3rd and 4th leaves right now. Guess I'll have to work on getting them in bigger pots next week. :)

• cammunizm
    12 years ago

damn, I got mold on mine. Wish I could blame the Burpee green house but it was most likely "user error."

I planted them about 2-3 weeks ago I guess but no germination. Let them dry out in the sun inside the mix and then just spray without enclosing them.

How long should I give them before I call it a loss?

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

Ok it's been almost 3 weeks and still no sign of germination. I'm starting over! I followed your directions tom and I got nothing! Pooh! I didn't use them all so I'm going to try again. This time I'm going to place them in my front office that stays warm and gets bright indirect light.

• zzackey
    12 years ago

I got your seeds today. Perfect timing! It's my birthday. I grew them once at a nursery I worked in in Vero Beach. We always just squirted them with a hose. They sure were the most exciting and weird looking seedlings I've ever grown.

• organic_flitter
    12 years ago

I also had a great year with seed pods. I bought two larger adenium w/seed pods already on them, then my others got jealous and put on pods as well....they started bursting open in July...'& I've been starting seeds ever since. I have a nursery here wanting to buy my babies next Spring. We'll see how that goes. Thankfully I have room in my greenhouse. What color are yours Tom? Will they all be true to color or will there be cross pollination of other colors?

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

Mine did nt make it,I think mine were put thru a machine that made them "paper" thin. I water them and I thought I had the right admisphere for them but...they did not want live for me.

Tnks for sending them Tom
    Carmen

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

I gave up! LOL The second round I did never germinated either. Mine too were paper thin. I wonder if that's the problem. I think I may just end up buying a plant. I appreciate you sending the seeds Tom! I don't know why they won't germinate for me. LOL

• vegasqueen
    12 years ago

CARMEN, 5 of mine made it.. They are coming along very slowly, but are still alive.. I am willing to share..You live close by so let me know..
    BTW the plants you gave me are doing great..
    Maxine

• MarilynHope
    11 years ago

I am looking for some desert rose seeds. I have four plants ranging from 4-8 years and would like to try to grow some from seedlings. These are so beautiful and I love them however I am a newbie to the green thumb world. I live in St. Pete Florida and hear this is a great area for these plants. Are these seeds sold anywhere?

• tomncath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Marilyn,

I only have two sets of pods from this spring and they are still 2-3 months out from maturity. Lots of folks sell seed but like many seeds, the fresher they are the higher the germination rate. And, bear in mind it will be 10 years before you have a mature plant, but they sure are fun to watch over time. If you do buy some seed just BARELY cover them, too deep and they won't germinate.

Tom

• zzackey
    11 years ago

Marilyn, I just recieved 4 seeds of Adenium obesium Apollo from a trade. Do you have anything to trade me for them? Maggie

• antiqueman10
    10 years ago

If you have any seeds left for the desert rose plants I would like to try and grow some , Thanks , Monty

• tomncath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry Monty, no pods right now :-(

Tom

• rob684
    10 years ago

I am really wanting to grow some of these this year if anyone still has some seeds left?

• lilce51286
    10 years ago

My lotus and supermoon seedlings it was easy to grow from seed I got them from top tropic online which is Florida based. I do have to full size desert roses as well and these plants well plants for me in general are addictive :)
    I grow them all indoors here in Baltimore, MD it's summer but I do mainly indoor plants due to heavy clay soil. Digging in that is too much trouble

• austin_113
    9 years ago

Id like some please i have been searching for so long can i please have some ill get you any tropical seed you want

• tomncath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do have two seed pods this year but they are about 4-6 weeks away from opening. Anyone who is interested can send me an email and I'll put you on a list to receive seeds if they are viable.

Tom

• Karatts
    9 years ago

Email sent! :D. I hope you still have some! I'd really love a few!

• Linda_64
    9 years ago

I have for the first time lots of seed pods. I like the many photos / dates. When do I remove the pods from my plants? Never replanted these! I too would love to share as I already have so many desert rose I have to house in the winter, but would love to try and grow babies!

• tomncath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When do I remove the pods from my plants?

Look at the pods daily, when they start to look faded in color they are about to split open and if you miss them by one day the seeds will all blow away. At the first sign of splitting take them off and put them in a paper bag inside your house. Otherwise, cover and tie them on the plant with a stocking so they don't get away from you.

Seeds are most viable when fresh so they really should be planted within 30 days, and VERY LIGHTLY covered, almost NOT covered....

Tom

• tcc_00676
    8 years ago

My email is: tcc_00676@yahoo.com

Let me know to get my free seeds,thank you. My name is Tom.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists