Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whgille

Fall Garden Party

whgille
9 years ago

You are invited to our fall garden party. Hope to see all the old garden friends and meet new ones.

It is going to be on Sunday October 12 at 11am, will post all the details later. If you are planning to attend, please let me know.

Silvia

Comments (60)

• AmberBrook
    9 years ago

I will be there! I look forward to your garden parties all year!

Here are some plants I can bring. Please let me know if anyone wants anything in particular!

I have lots of young starfruit trees planted from seed that I can bring. I keep meaning to try grafting them sometime.

I also have lots of Firebush (Hamelia patens), the native one, not the compact form.

I have some African Blue Basil, which is more of an ornamental basil, since I don't think it tastes very good, but it flowers continuously without going to seed and the bees really seem to love it!

Small Papaya, loquat, and miracle fruit trees.

Lots of different kinds of gingers.

Various other ornamentals: Firespike, Justicia, Eranthemum, Thunbergia erecta, Asystasia gangetica...

I also have one or two small Blackberry Jam Fruit trees (Randia formosa) and Orange Jasmine (Murraya paniculata), that I can offer for special trades.

-Amber

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Amber

I am so happy that you are coming and your plant list sound wonderful.

Wish everyone the best trades!

Silvia

• tcgardener Zone 10a SE Florida
    9 years ago

Silvia,
    We are newbies to the group but read you had a great garden party last year, unfortunately we can't make it this year. We have a camping rally at Sebastian Inlet State Park planned for that weekend. Used to live in Broward back in the 70-80s, even remember when I95 didn't go thru that part of the county. Wish you all the best!

• gardencraze
    9 years ago

Hi Amber, I would love a star fruit seedling I you still have some. I have allot of heirloom seeds,tomatoes,Seminole pumpkin,holly basil,rosemary,and so on.
    Are you looking for fruit or flowers?

Silvia, I think the party has got started LOL

Carmen

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi TCGardener, all the newbies are welcome to our parties, hope that you can come and meet us one day, we have a great group of gardeners!

Carmen, good vibrations for the beginning of the party, it is going to be fun!

Silvia

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

I love Fall, ... but I live in Indiana ...

• fairyblooms
    9 years ago

Hi Silvia......Carmen reminded me of the fun Fall garden party and as of now, I plan to attend. I'm the one who brought the glazed Chipotle roasted nuts in the terra cotta pots.......I'm dreaming up something fun again to bring.....and also heirloom seeds and plants for sharing too....I look forward to seeing you again. :) Thank you!

• gardencraze
    9 years ago

Yaaaa!!! Jackie!

Does anybody have Bay seedlings?? I would so love to trade for a bay tree.
    Thanx
    Carmen

• Tommysgardens
    9 years ago

I'm hoping to make it,.You and your family are great host to us gardeners

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jackie

Of course I remember you and look forward to see you at the garden party! anything that you bring is going to be wonderful....

Hi Tommy

Hope to see you at the party, it is always fun to share a day around gardeners and plants!

Silvia

• tcgardener Zone 10a SE Florida
    9 years ago

Thank you whgillie!
    I hope to meet up in the future.
    Craig

• ibarbidahl
    9 years ago

I promised pulled pork and I will do my darndest to deliver! :-D

Can't wait to see everyone.

Barbie

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Barbie!

Looking forward to try your pulled pork, we are going to have a great time! cannot wait to see all the garden friends.

Silvia

• vml68
    9 years ago

I am a newbie too. I just moved to Tampa but have been avidly reading the Florida Gardening Forum for over a year while preparing for my move.
    I wish I could come to your Garden Party but I have another commitment that day. I hope I can make it to the next one!

• abnorm
    9 years ago

Hi Silvia.......

Sounds like a Grande time in Europe.........

We won't be attending the Party again this time.....we finally have some unwanted health answers :-(

dougandpam

Here is a link that might be useful: News about Pam

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi vml68

Next party if you are available you can come and meet us, everyone is welcome.

Hi Doug

I am so sorry about Pam, thank you for updating us on her health, I pray that you get the best Drs and answers to your issues. We always miss you at the gatherings, it is so sad but keep the spirits up because that is the best thing to have.

On other news, we had the best time in Spain and when I went to buy beans and typical sweets, the owner of the shop gave me a class on the products, he showed me the sweets with no sugar and they were a lot, he said " they eat lard, hams, cheese, and after that they blame the sweets when they have the cholesterol and diabetes"

My best wishes for Pam and hope to see you both next time.

Silvia

• scents_from_heaven
    9 years ago

Ted and I will be there and I do not know what I will bring yet but I will have some items.

• scents_from_heaven
    9 years ago

Amber, I would like a star fruit, fire spike, miracle fruit and ginger if you have any left. What are you seeking in exchange for these items?

• ariel73
    9 years ago

I have not been on garden web in years. I recently started working in my garden again and realized how much I missed it. I would love to come to the fall garden party. I'm not sure if I will have much to trade, but I will do my best to see what I've got.
    Off the top of my head I know I have variegated pinecone ginger, regular pinecone ginger, butterfly ginger, kewense? ginger, picasa amaryllis and Mexican sunflower cuttings.
    Tomorrow I will check my garden and see what else I have.

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope that all the garden friends are preparing for the party.

Ariel, looking forward to meet you, the get together is all about sharing a good time with gardeners.

I will post the details soon for those that are coming for the first time. For the gardeners that were here before, you know the program....

Silvia

• organic_elizabeth_b
    9 years ago

Hi Silvia and Gardening friends!

Bug man Ronn and I are hoping to make it. I've just gotten most of my fall garden in, and have a major gardening obsession right now!

Elizabeth

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Elizabeth!

It will be so nice to see you and Ronn again at the garden party! I am so glad to hear that you are having fun gardening, it is the best hobby to have.

Looking forward to the party and seeing all the gardeners!

Silvia

• User
    9 years ago

Please have the same fantastic directions as you did last time........:) I think C posted, not W........looking forward to a great day, temps dropping this weekend......! Pic is of FNGLA garden show this last week......good fun and educational..........!

• keiki
    9 years ago

Wallisadi I was at the same convention this weekend. I had a wonderful time although I didn't see as much new and interesting stuff this year.

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

M, I love garden shows! anything to do with gardening is very entertaining and educational for me. I always learn something new at our garden parties. And yes, I will ask C to post the directions.

And today is October 1st, soon we will have the party Sunday October 12th, time flies!
    For all the gardeners that were here before you know the program and the rules:

Every one is required to bring a dish, either an appetizer or a side dish to be shared with others, if you don't want to cook, you can bring something to drink. The plants and the swap is entirely up to you....

It starts at 11am, when we get situated, the dishes go to the kitchen and the plants go to the backyard, the gate will be open at the side of the house. Please try to name anything that you bring, it helps with the food and later on with the plants.

At 12pm, we will have lunch.

At 1pm, all the fun starts and we will have the swap, same like others times, each of us will take a turn and explain what we have to swap.

For the ones that are coming for the first time, this is an adult gathering, no children or pets are allowed in the party because I have 4 senior dogs at my house.

Looking forward to see all the gardeners!

Silvia

• apapjim
    9 years ago

Silvia, let me be the first to post what I am bringing to eat so we can have a good variety. I will bring a carrot casserole which even people who don't like carrots will like. I have learned from past parties that, except for the goodies Silvia and her family cook up, the menu is pretty much up to us. If we get off base, or you need a particular dish please don't hesitate to say so Silvia. We need to make this as easy as possible on you.

Papa Jim

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Papa Jim, you are always so nice and thank you for your help in planning the menu.
    Carrot casserole sounds wonderful and unique! so far from what I know we have:

Carrot casserole
    Pasta salad
    Pulled pork
    Garlic soup
    Seminole pumpkin soup

We will make sure that we have water, ice, paper plates, bowls, forks, spoons, napkins and I am still thinking about what to make...

Silvia

• ninecrow
    9 years ago

Hi Guys, It's NOT FAIR That I'm in England!!!
    ***GRUMP***

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi NC!

I am glad to hear from you. If you were here you would come to enjoy the party too.

I was in England last month for 4 hours, trying to catch a plane to Madrid, they had some high security problem.

We will try to post pictures after the party...

Silvia

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Directions from the highway (most recommended as the little side roads are super confusing and take very, very long).

Taking the Florida Turnpike from either downtown or from the south Orlando:

Take exit 272
    Stay right on the ramp and turn right onto Colonial/Hwy 50
    Then go all the way to the left lane
    At the light, turn left onto Tubbs/4th St (there is a Chevron gas station at that corner)
    Go to the stop sign and then turn right onto Oakland Ave/438
    Then take the 3rd left into the Winters Landing neighborhood, on Winter's Landing
    Go to the end of that little street (stop at the trail and then go to the next stop sign) and turn left onto Macchi Ave
    The house is the 3rd house from last on the left

For those taking 429 South because they are coming from further north, I suggest these directions:
    The best exit off 429 is exit 23 which gets you on Colonial/Hwy 50 coming the other way.
    Now, you will be on Colonial for a while, for 3.7 miles
    You will make a right at Avalon/State road 454/Tildenville, there is a 7-Eleven at that corner, that's how you will know it is the right one
    Then you will turn left at the light onto Plant st/Oakland Ave/438
    then make a right at Winter's Landing (it will be across from the Police Station)
    Go to the end of Winter's Landing and make a left onto Macchi Ave
    The house is 3rd from last on the left

Please make sure to print these directions, it's highly recommended so you don't get lost! :)

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good morning everyone

Don't forget next Sunday October 12th at 11am, is our garden party.

Looking forward to see all!

Silvia

• apapjim
    9 years ago

See you then!

Papa jim

• scents_from_heaven
    9 years ago

Would you like deviled eggs and a dessert? I am contemplating something else but I have a very busy week and not a lot of time. Linda. I will also bring a beverage since I am limited in things I can drink.

• User
    9 years ago

Love deviled eggs here....just saying.....! Hope to have a nice assortment of stuff. Have a couple new varieties of begonias that are nice, ground cover tibouchina, Chaya, centrum , ground orchids and a few more things......should be fun! Thank you Silvia for hosting...........

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Papa Jim, looking forward to Sunday!

Linda, anything that you bring will be fine and deviled eggs is a good idea!

M, sounds like great surprises! hope the weather is nice like today, is not raining and even got cooler. And yes! we will have fun!

Silvia

• Lauren Clear
    9 years ago

I love fairybloom's photo she posted here with the garden pot filled with nuts and wrapped so pretty. I just attended the Raleigh Plant Swap and picnic, and we had a blast. Its so much fun. We are planning on moving to The Villages in Florida in 3 years and I'm planning now to see what to take to your swaps! Have fun !!!

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi lclear

It is always fun at the garden get togethers, everyone try their best bringing food and plants, be around people who love to garden is the best!
    When you move to Florida you are welcome to come to our garden party.

Silvia

• morningloree
    9 years ago

Hi,
    I was thinking of bringing corn muffins, hopefully that is OK. I have been collecting passionflowers and have a few to bring, some unusual bromeliads, one grows a dwarf pink pineapple, and a bamboo orchid, as well as a few other things. CIao!

• castorp
    9 years ago

We may be a little bit late, but we will definitely be there before lunch. I will try to bring a Spanish potato omelet (tortilla de patata). Really looking forward to the party!

Bill and Ana

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dawn

Corn muffins are a good addition to the menu and the plants sound really good for the swap, looking forward to Sunday!

Hi Bill and Ana

I will be so happy to see you at the party! and tortilla de patata is perfect!

Silvia

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

Hey Silvia
    I sure am hoping I can make this party!

Not sure about the food - I'm a terrible cook - but I have a few plants to bring:
    Brown Turkey fig trees from Amber's cuttings last Oct
    firespike
    tibouchina
    Angel's Trumpet from Mark's cuttings
    agaves
    aloes
    crinums with pink blooms (although not in bloom right now)
    and if anyone wants roses, email me for what I've got

I might also have some rooted cuttings of begonia and spider lily bulbs, if anyone is interested, plus peace lily babies and spider plants

I hope someone has extra veggie plants - I was too busy this summer and neglected to start some SMH . . .

Anyways, I can't wait to see you guys again and I'm looking forward to finally meeting Ariel.

Susie

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Susie, I am glad you can make it to the party!

If cooking is not an option, you can always bring something to drink...

You are right on time to start the cold weather veggies now from seeds, the season has not been that good too hot and heavy rains. I am at the end of the cucumbers and squash, and recently planted greens, carrots, beets, cole crops. I will be succession planting the same things.

Looking forward to Sunday! update on the food:

Meatballs in tomato sauce
    Tomato tart

Tom cannot make it to the party because he has to work but he was so nice sending me different types of seeds and he also asked me to tell everyone hi from him. I hope that he can come the next time
    After looking at the seeds I will put a box for the swap for those interested....

Silvia.

• ariel73
    9 years ago

I am so excited to meet everyone! I might bring my mother with me, if that's ok.
    I will probably bring a layered hummus dip.
    I would love to trade for some edibles.
    Does anyone have any Everglades/wild cherry tomatoes?
    Thanks!

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Ariel

Looking forward to meet you! and of course you can bring your mother.
    A layered hummus dip sounds very good.
    I have Tom's seeds and there are some wild cherry tomatoes, I will set them aside for you.

Silvia

• organic_elizabeth_b
    9 years ago

Bug man Ronn and I are a definite. We are thinking of bringing vegetarian New Mexican posole and pinto beans (vegetarian).

We will have homemade Rosemary soap, a few strawberries and some seeds to trade assuming tomorrow is as motivated as I hope!

We are looking for anything edible especially Papaya!

Elizabeth

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Elizabeth

Looking forward to see you and bug man Ronn on Sunday! New Mexican posole and pinto beans sound yummy, cannot wait to try them.
    I will make things that the garden produce....

Silvia

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found last spring directions, just in case.:)

The address is 404 Macchi Ave, Oakland, FL 34787. The town is between Winter Garden and Clermont. If you are approaching from the Florida Turnpike (aka Ronald Reagan Turnpike), the exit is 272 for "Winter Garden." When you get off the highway you would go East towards Winter Garden. The first light East of the the exit is Tubbs St (aka 4th Street), you turn left at that intersection (you know it is the right one because there is a Chevron Gas Station). Then go to the first stop sign and make a right onto Oakland Ave. Then, a few blocks down go left on Winters Landing. Macchi Ave is the last street and you turn left again. The house is third from last on the street on the left.

For those of you coming from Deland, your best bet is taking 1-4 West, then 414 West, then 429 South. The exit off 429 is Exit 23 toward Winter Garden. When you get off the exit, you are going right (West) on Colonial Rd (aka Highway 50). Drive for 3.7 miles and turn right at 545/Avalon Road (there is a 7 eleven there), then turn left at the stop light onto Oakland Ave. You will go down for .7 miles and turn right onto Winters Landing. From there, go to the end and that is Macchi Road. Then you make a left onto Macchi and the house is the 3rd to last on the left hand side.

Silvia

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    9 years ago

Thanks Silvia. Let's hope that I don't get lost again!

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Christine, looking forward to see you on Sunday! don't get lost.

See you all at 11 am!
    11.30 am is the group picture
    12 pm we are having lunch
    1pm the swap starts!

It is going to be a fun day like always is!

Silvia

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To all

Please don't forget it is Sunday not Saturday, it might be confusing to some because we always had it on Saturday, this year we changed to Sunday.

Silvia