Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to by garden plants in Orlando/Clermont area

Posted by kari 9 fl (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 10, 09 at 19:18

I have decided that I am going to have to purchase my tomato plants. I have started seeds twice and failed miserably. It kills me to pay 3.00 for a tomato plant though. I go to a great plant stand in Plant City on occasion but they are hit or miss and its an awful long drive. They sell 4" pots 3 for 1.00. Is there any place like that in the Orlando/ Clermont area? Where do you all buy your vegetable plants from?
Thank you
Kari

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to by garden plants in Orlando/Clermont area

• Posted by florah z9 Leesburg, Fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 10, 09 at 19:51

I don't know about tomato plants specifically, but a reasonably priced nursery is on 27 north near the spot where 19 crosses 27. It is on a hill at the right with a sign 'Cascades', which actually does not refer to the nursery but to the road to "Cascades", a development.

o

Kari , there is a farmers market in down town Winter Garden
on Saturday mornings There is another in Winter Park on Thursdays, I haven't been to that one but I hear it is very good for vegies and herbs.
I hope this helps.

Carmen

o

kari, it might be too late to plant tomatoes... even very large seedlings might not set/ ripen any fruit.

mine are around 3' and i worry that THEY won't set much fruit before frost...

it might be time now to think of planting beans, broc, cauliflower, greens, herbs...and in a few weeks (first consistently cool mornings), lettuce, radish, beet and peas and potatoes.

i've started lettuces in a sterile mix INDOORS... and once they got some size, i have put them outdoors in morning sun. but they won't go into the garden until, say, the end of october...

From september flowers

o

• Posted by cjc45 9 Mount Dora FL (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 10, 09 at 22:38

You think we'll have frost before Thanksgiving?!

o

This is the frost chart for my zip code in zone 9 . Going by this , I would say - no frost by turkey day . I used this address : http://www.climate-charts.com/USA-Stations/FL

First Frost Last Frost
10% 50% 90% 10% 50% 90%
NOV 19 DEC 20 JAN 21 JAN 23 FEB 23 MAR 27

I entered this as a nice chart and GW scrunched it all together ! Enter your own info to see what yours really looks like .

Here is a link that might be useful: Climate and Daylight Charts and Data

o

Fri, Sep 11, 09 at 21:55

Thanks, I feel better now.

o

Can anyone tell me if I can grow tomatoes in my greenhouse, or will they not get enough sun in the winter?

o

Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 10:40

I had a friend who did that and was very disappointed in the flavor. We assumed it was lack of light because his summer tomatoes were wonderful. Maybe there's a variety that requires less light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here