Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jujube Fruit - Time to Mature and Ripen?

Posted by billbrandi 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 19:27

I planted a jujube tree a month and a half ago. It has a number of small buds on it; looks like it will fruit. Is it too late in the year for this kind of tree to fruit? How long does it take to go from bud to ripened fruit?

Thanks
Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jujube Fruit - Time to Mature and Ripen?

• Posted by brute Florida 9B (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 7:22

I'm assuming your jujube is a Thai Giant, since that's the only variety I've seen for sale in my part of Florida. I don't know anything about other varieties. Those little buds you see will turn into tiny yellow flowers, which may, or may not, become fruit. My largest jujube has been flowering like crazy all summer, but isn't producing any fruit. Last January, this tree produced lots of fruit. What's happening now has me confused. I've never seen a fruit tree absolutely covered with blossoms fail to produce fruit!
If your tree is anything like mine, you'll be surprised at how quickly it will grow. I hope yours has plenty of room!

o

Mine is a Tigerclaw and it bloomed twice this year with no resulting fruit. It was just planted this spring though and yes they do grow fast.

o

thanks for the advice....there is room for it to grow up to 20' or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here