Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lessons from Lou on toys - cement mixer for making potting soil

Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 19:27

Best $150 I ever spent. This is a picture of Cathy's dad as we made EIGHT 3.5CF batches of potting mix for my bucket veggie garden, in only FIVE hours - manually this process usually takes me two and a half days :-) We set 28 tomato plants, sowed 10 pole bean buckets and 11 cucumber buckets in ONE day. I am definitely a happy camper.

Tom

P1040504

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lessons from Lou on toys - cement mixer for making potting so

Tom,

I'm happy to see you taking the cement mixer advise. I never made potting soil mix so easy until I started using my cement mixer. It is very easy to make different type batches of mixes for different type of plants too. It is very quick to fill my 30 gallon planting pots (55gal plastic blue barrels cut in two)
The 55 gallon blue barrel drums are actually 60 gallons because of the expansion space they require for shipping.

Lou

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 8:21

Hi Tom

It is good to know about the cement mixer, Lou always has good ideas and always learn something from him, he is a good teacher!

And you have some handsome looking Cathy's dad! and he likes to help, how nice of him.

Congratulations on a lot of work done in your garden! Today you can relax.:)

Silvia

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 9:23

Lou - I should have done this a long time ago, using a composter eleminated the physical strain of turning the mix by hand but still took considerable time between batches....

Silvia - You should consider this too, you make as much if not more mix every season as I do. And, it sure was nice to have help from Cathy's dad, he's a real workhorse.

Anyone need a "gently used" composter? :-)

Photobucket

Tom

o

Tom I might be interested in purchasing that composter from you. What size is it and what are you asking?

o

• Posted by abnorm Central Florida (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 20:31

Very nice Tom....Dad looks like a good man to have around....I don't think I'll be able to slip one-of-those past my comptroler-in-charge :-)

I'll just keep spinning the composter by hand....doug

o

Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 19:31

R - Send me an email, I think you'll find the price attractive :-)

Doug - Bummer, just think how much BIGGER your garden could be if you spent more time planting and expanding and less time preping the mix...get her, er, I mean the "comptroller" to crunch the numbers on an increased yield ;-)

Tom

o

Tom I sent you an email but I am having trouble with it through gw, if you didnt get it please contact me at ladygardener1 at comcast dot net. Thanks

o

Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 19:00

Hi R - CYE ;-)

Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here