Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viability of wild black cherry tree in zone 9

Posted by zoozue 9 Lakeland (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 9, 08 at 19:33

O.K. We are trying to plant for wildlife instead of using commercial seeds and the like. We need a small fruit tree, of less than 20 feet. Many bird sites recommend wild black cherry but they all seem to grow only as far south as zone 6.

Can anyone suggest small fruit trees (non-citrus) that will provide wild food for our feathered friends. Nuts and seeds are taken care of with the neighbors pecan tree and wild millet, safflower and nyer that we allow to grow.

Suggestions would be appreciated. As a kid in south Florida we used to have mulberry trees but I'm not sure if they would grow up hear.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viability of wild black cherry tree in zone 9

Mulberry can be grown here. Birds in my garden enjoy figs,grapes,peaches,plums,nectarine,strawberry guava. They do not seem to bother the persimmons both wild and Japanese
nor my cooking pears.
Felix

o

I found that mulberries are what the birds like to eat the most out of my fruit trees. I had the everbearing type which means that it has a couple of crops per year.

Loquats are also a favorite. If you want cherry types, consider Cherry of the Rio Grande (hardy to Gainsville), and Surinam Cherry. Hope that helps.

Christine

o

Christine,I just read that Cherry of the Rio Grande can tolerate temperatures as low as 20 f.
That is great. I never consider it. Thank you. Now I want one!
Felix

o

Thanks Felix and Christine. Great suggestions once again.

o

Felix--if you can't find a Cherry of the Rio Grande this year check out Hopkins Nursery vending site at the annual Leu Gardens plant sale in March if you live close enough to Orlando. Hopkins doesn't sell retail anymore so you have to get it at a plant show or a nursery that sells their plants. They are the only one that I know of that sells them.

Christine

o

Kerby's in Sefner (just east of Tampa) has Cherry of the Rio Grande. It's a beautiful little tree and bears fruit the first or second year. I got mine on a recommendation from Lisa (the Fruit Tree Goddess) and I've been delighted with it. I have to admit though that I've only gotten a handful of cherries off of it because the birds beat me to it!

Kate

o

The wild Black Cherry (Prunus serotina) grows very well in zone 9. I have one that is about 30 ft tall at the moment. According to sources I read it will grow up to 60 ft.

It is an excellent tree for wildlife. Many birds enjoy the fruit and about five different types of butterflies use it for larval food. It grows all over the place in Central Florida.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here