Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tampaart

Lancetilla mango

tampaart
15 years ago

Here it is the latter part of September and my dear friend that I convinced to plant a mango tree (Lancetilla) is still babying fruit! Look at the size of these "puppies". The smallest one was 4 pounds and the largest may go 7! Taste is good, but still doesn't beat my sweet Kent!

{{gwi:950644}}

Comments (12)

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Wow!! Those mangos look absolutely luscious!! I am drooling here as I type. I just recently purchased a Lancetilla tree a couple of months ago. Its got a long way to go... I actually have it potted, didn't want to dig another hole, and running out of room for another tree in the yard.

How long ago did you plant it? When did it bloom? Can you post a pic of the whole tree, would love to see it...Thanks for sharing.

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

WOW ! I need one of those!

• tampaart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It has been in the ground only a year - I picked it out for my dear friend (wife's BFF). It's a beautiful tree that will be absolutely beautiful in about a year or two. First picture is when I planted it last year. Second picture is yesterday in the rain!
    {{gwi:950646}}
    {{gwi:950648}}

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Yum!!!!! Thank you for sharing the pics, Tampaart.

Does the Kent requre more room than Laccetilla?

• tampaart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, according to published information they say the Kent can (and will) grow huge if allowed. Growing up in south Florida my parents had one in the backyard that was almost 50 feet tall. It was a beautiful tree!
    The three Kents I have in my yard here in Tampa (Davis Islands) are all under 20 feet and producing nicely. Selective trimming I would guess!

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the pictures...I can't believe you were able to get two mangoes from such a young tree. Lucky you, looks like it was a pretty good size tree when you purchased it. Mine was very tall and lanky...So I pruned it down to 4ft,just a stick with 8 leaves when I got done.I needed it to be short/bushy because its potted...Mine will definitely take a while just to catch up to yours, LOL. Growing well for you and a very nice size!!Thanks again...

• bluepalm
    15 years ago

Tampaart, nice tree! Thanks for posting the pics. I have a Lancetilla that I am growing in a pot. However, it is getting big very fast! It may eventually go into the ground. I've posted 2 pics...one when the Lancetilla had new growth (a couple of weeks ago), and a newer one with the growth hardened off. I hung my sunglasses on the tree for scale. Best regards,
    BluePalm

• gcmastiffs
    15 years ago

Thank you all for ID-ing my tree, that my puppy had removed the tags from. It has that same sparse, open growth pattern as shown here. Even when cut back, and growing back, it has that "open" look.

Looks very different than Nam Doc Mai, Cogshall, Mallika, Glenn, Ice Cream and my others. Those are dense, rounded and naturally grow in a balloon shape.

Very cool, and the HUGE Lancetilla fruits impressed us all at the Mango festival at Fairchild in July!

Lisa

• tampaart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

BluePalm - put that beauty in the ground! (smiling) I've found they do so much better when they can reach out and stretch! Keep us posted.
    Enjoy

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Bluepalm,

Very nice tree!! Thanks for the pictures...

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Tampaart, forgot to ask, when did your tree bloom? I was hoping since this is a very late variety that it bloomed AFTER the frost threat(like Late Feb/March?). If it did, this would have a better chance of fruiting, since I had a young tree last year produce flowers in Dec, but the Jan. freeze killed it...

Thanks

• lancentillo1
    10 years ago

Hey Im a green horn and I have a young 3 year old lancetillo tree I planted in my front yard here in Clearwater FL area. Im concerned about it having flowered so late . what should I do ? I found a site on the internet that tells you to cut of all the blooms and the tree should bloom again in 3 or 4 month? also it looks a bit tall and slinky should I prune it ? Help for now I'll just

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor