Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do You Start Palm Trees by Seed?

Posted by imatallun 10a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 26, 08 at 20:12

Can anybody provide instructions? I have viable Christmas Tree Palm and Date Palm seeds. The info I've searched on the web hasn't been that helpful, and UF Info is geared toward commercial growers.

I'd like to distribute the seeds to people that can't otherwise afford to purchase trees from nurseries but have an interest in gardening or would like to beautify their landscape.

This morning a bracket of nice sized seeds fell off a Christmas Palm. I took it to a big medical clinic. Several of the people who worked there wanted seeds, but didn't know what to do with them. I didn't want to dispense incorrect advise, and suggested that they "check around", the one thing I knew was that they aren't viable that long. Oh, before I joined this forum, those seeds surely would have ended up in the garden waste pick up pile.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do You Start Palm Trees by Seed?

While I've never grown them myself, Christmas Palms will start themselves if they roll under the mulch after falling off the tree. My neighbor has dozens of volunteers in the ground from his palms.

Last week I yanked a Spindle Palm volunteer that was growing up between the bromeliads planted below it. (Don't worry, I didn't toss it out. Saving it for whoever wants it at the Swap-a-Que.)

Queens, Robellenii, Washingtonias, all seem to pop up without any help from me. I must have a dozen Licuala spinosa from seeds that ripened and fell. And don't get me started on Arecas.

I know the nurseries all use specific techniques, depending on the palm. But for home growers, just plain dumb luck seems to be the best route to follow.

o

Good to know Ricky, thanks. And LOL, I know about the Areca (and Sable) reseeding - Arggh! I haven't ever pulled up a volunteer from the Christmas or Pigmy Date Palm. I keep a 3" mulch though.

Thanks again,
Marilyn

o

How we did it (at a nursery): take a big pot, add well draining, loose potting soil, add the palm tree seeds and mix it all up. Stick the pot in a corner and forget about it. When the first seedlings appeared, we pulled them out, potted them up and gave the mix in the pot a good stir for the others to sprout.. and they sure did LOL

Evelyn

o

Thanks, Evelyn!!! How deeply did you cover the seeds with the soil? It sounds like it varied.

o

• Posted by lellie z9 Anna Maria Island (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 29, 08 at 13:15

Only the squirrels know the real answer...LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here