Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is eating my cannas?

Posted by jrzgurl 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 24, 11 at 20:18

Something is hungry...I don't see any culprit, no catepillars, slugs, grasshoppers etc. Any help is appreciated...thx! *x posted on canna forum*

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

These pix were taken just 2 days ago they look alot worse today.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is eating my cannas?

probably caterpillars
they love cannas

o

Are there any droppings anywhere?

o

I second caterpillars.
One of the photos shows the edge of a leaf rolled back.
Pull back that section of leaf and I'll bet you find one of the culprits there.

o

Droppings? I've looking @them several times a day picking through the leaves haven't seen any caterpillars. Are they goners. Or is there something I can treat them with? Thx.

o

If you Google "Canna Leaf Rollers" you can find out about this pest. BT is a control specifically for caterpillars but you have to use it often to keep them off. I have the same problem. There is also a disease that affects Cannas, I love them but it's a constant battle to keep them healthy. I have used Sevin dust for them and it works but also have to reapply often to get good results.

o

Grasshopper/Lubbers love cannas too.

o

Droppings or poop. Many times the bug is gone but what he leaves you with, poop, can id who it is. I would douse with Seven. Look down in the soil too. Many times cut worms are sleeping there during the day. Good luck.

o

I spy a rolled up leaf edge in the last pic, you might want to pry that open & check what's inside.

The good thing about those caterpillars is that they don't stick around for long - it's only for a short time & then they pupate.

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSLFl (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 25, 11 at 12:22

I get rust alot and then they look half dead. When they do that I just cut them to the ground, they look awful anyway and let them grow back. They usually come back healthy and blooming. :o)

o

I was also thinking landlubber grasshoppers. They have an incredible appetite. I don't think they leave frass (poop).

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSLFl (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 7:41

I learn something new here every day, like insect poop is frass. Thanks Zackery! :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here