Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fagopher

soursop in zone 9 ?

fagopher
13 years ago

Has anybody tried growing soursop in central Fl (zone 9?). Would this grow in pots? is it self fertile ?

If so, any idea where can I get one from ?

Thanks

Comments (19)

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

Soursop is just another name for the Annona Muricata or Guanabana. I see seeds listed on eBay for cheap. I think zone 9 is just a little too far north for it to grow without protection but for 10 seeds under 5 bucks (including shipping) it may be worth a try as every garden area has micro climates.

Lou

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

I think it is Flatwood Tree Farm in Riverview that had them at one time. I tried one as a host for a butterfly (Zebra Swallowtail, I think) but it died the first winter, which wasn't a very cold one. Maybe you can google them and see. I am in 9b, Lakeland

• remb
    13 years ago

I think 9b would be too cold. I moved here in December and was told one of my small trees was a Soursop. We had one night of freezing in January. It was officially 31 and I had a quarter inch of ice in my birdbath. The tree lost all its leaves in 24 hours and had a lot of tip damage. It took a few months to recover and is fine now. I think multiple freezes would kill the buds and prevent regrowth. Multiple foliage kills would probably prevent any fruit set, but you can always try.

Joe

• jhl1654
    13 years ago

I planted a soursop tree in zone 9b. It died the first night of freezing and it never recovered. I have one in a pot that I bring in in the winter so far it hasn't fruited

• fagopher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.. I know the tree will not survive outside, so I will try to grow it in pots..I am not sure how well they fit in a pot, but Lou is right. I got seeds for $2 so worst thing is that I lost $2.

Cheers!

• Michael Keef
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Definitely possible! My brother is from the Virgin Islands and I'm from Galveston Island, TX. We currently live on the dividing line between northern and southern Montgomery County, TX, in which one side is a 9a while the other is 8b. Together we grow 1 mexican mango, 5 papayas, jackfruit trees sporadically around my yard (that one has been interesting and fast), 2 tamarind trees, a pride of barbados, giant bottle brush tree, bananas (easy), purple passionfruit and the yellow ones grow wild around here along the creeks, hopefully a banana passionfruit soon, and even soursop. The soursop is about 3 years old now and is already budding. Just for the first about 2 years bring it in once temperatures drop below mid forties, once the seed is rooted and sprouting plant it in a big pot, one in which you can put clear saran wrap over and tie down. This will create a rainforest style climate during the colder months. In which the humidity piles water up on the saran wrap, it weighs down, then "rains" the water droplets. Keeping the soil moist but not soggy and creating a humid climate. During mid-spring all the way until temperatures drop below the mid forties again, set it against a wall, so the wall can reflect heat, or just put it in an open part of the yard, but I recommend a wall. During these months I'd take off the saran wrap, but it really doesn't matter in this time period. Then, repeat each year until plant is good, and I mean really good, size. Hope this helps!

• Michael Keef
    8 years ago

Don't ever let "nay-sayers" bring you down! Always prove 'em wrong!

• Robert Maulella
    8 years ago

Brothers, how do you protect your Jackfruit and Soursop trees from frost? We live in Central Florida, zone 9b but there are times the temps get down to 30. People say we can't grow tender tropicals, but like you I disagree. We have a mango, bananas, papayas, pineapples so far. Just moved here a year ago. Can you share any secrets? Thanks, Rob

• Michael Keef
    7 years ago

Honestly, it's difficult, but during the winter bring them into a garage if they're small enough. Create a type of "dome", I simply got old pots, cut the bottoms out, glued/taped them together, and barely water, try to use room temperature or slightly below room temp water, I literally add droplets or mist just the soil when it becomes drastically dry. This helps create a "rainforest-like" environment. If you can, meaning if they're small enough, use those clear plant trays you can get at Home Depot and cut out their bottoms. The papayas/bananas, don't worry too much about them, they grow like weeds, there's spots in the woods here where just random banana trees are grouped together from other tropical enthusiast. Just cover them with blankets, if it's really cold, use several blankets. The papayas are rapid growers, if one dies I'll just buy another small tree for $5 and still have fruit in spring/summer. My soursop seeds germinated and is growing pretty fast. But the jackfruit/mango, just bring them in best you can and put some ingenuity to use.

• Robert Maulella
    7 years ago

These trees are about 7 feet tall and in the ground, so I cannot bring them in, but I can cover them with blankets. I guess this is better than keeping the sprinklers on all night???? Thanks....

• Michael Keef
    7 years ago

Definitely don't use the sprinklers haha, just reading that terrified me haha. Just do the best you can, with the jackfruit being 7ft tall it should be alright to handle chilly temperatures as long as you cover it. Just do your best and the colder it gets, the more the blankets/sheets

• Robert Maulella
    7 years ago

Thanks. Looking forward to the harvest in a few years!!!

• gnappi
    7 years ago

Because a mango or annona survive 2 or 3 years outside of a warmer climate does not mean they will survive long term.

• HU-345629313
    5 years ago

Glenn mango's, soursop, and passion fruit vines will grow in zone 9. I've done online research to see what fruit tree will grow. Maybe you should check to see what zone you're in and research fruit trees suitable for the zone you're in.

• hartford colombia
    last year

hh

• hartford colombia
    last year

I am growing and experimenting with soursop, now transplanted in a 7gal container doing well after coming back and recovering from frost last winter in Orlando, they are fast growers under right climatic conditions. (Had another plant die a couple years ago from root rot.) Soursop will lose its leaves as soon as we dip below 60 after a few nights and MUST be brought inside a shed, greenhouse or home by a window from Nov to Mar at least it seems to work trick is keeping it in a container so it s movable and can still fruit (upsize the container as tree grows all the way to a 15gal or 20). I would not plant inground in 9b zone or colder. South fla is a different story. Maybe once it reaches 7ft plus in height with a thick trunk i will consider inground planting with lots of mulch and close to a southside wall and cover in winter with chistmas lights who knows.

• hartford colombia
    last year

All annonas lose their leaves if temps dip below let s say 60 at night as I have cherimoya seedlings and all came back after the cold 2 yrs ago did not even protect them, however later died from root rot as Annonas seem very susceptible to that as well. Bought a 4ft tall red cherimoya lately, lost all leaves during transport but hopeful it will resprout. If so I will bring inside middle of next monrh. We ll see.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last year
    last modified: last year

Lowes or H. Depot (I forget which) was selling these last spring in NE FL in gallon pots for only something like $15. They definitely need some protection (like a winter greenhouse) in N FL.

I am in NW FL in zone 8b now. My potted Soursop lost leaves at 50F night temps. My longan and Starfruit still had their leaves at that temp.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional