Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retiredflorida

Pumpkin Seedlings

RetiredFlorida
11 years ago

Very new to vegetable gardening, planted my first just a month ago. Yeah, not exactly on good time table but thats the great thing about florida, right?

So within 2 or 3 days these seedlings started coming up. So far the fastest growing seed I encountered. The seeds are burpee "Early Sweet Sugar Pie" which the package states full sun, 90 days to maturity.

The seedlings have been outdoors during the day, in the shadow of my home but getting good light for the last 2 days. They're about 3 inches tall. From what I've read, I should wait until a 2nd set of leaves show up before putting them in a garden, is that right? I realize we won't have these in time for halloween but should have some for thanksgiving and some holiday pies...........I hope, unless y'all tell me differently.

What is a good type of pumpkin for halloween carving (for next year) and where would I get seeds if possible?

Thanks,

Darren

Comments (9)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 years ago

Congratulations! But they do look a bit stretched - more direct sun might be in order.

I can't tell if those are in separate cels or is that 1 large flat? Squash & pumpkins are rather sensitive to transplanting so I always use separate celpaks & cups to avoid disturbing the roots as much as possible.

If it's a flat, you might try moving them to separate cups/containers now, before the roots get much bigger.

HTH

• whgille
    11 years ago

Hi Darren

Welcome to the veggie gardening hobby!

I usually start all my squash direct seeded where they are going to be. I am in zone 9b and for spring I grow big type of squash, in the fall I grow smaller and faster type so I can get a harvest before frost.

Any squash do well for me, of course after amending the soil, sandy soil have no nutrients and we have to keep replenishing after a harvest.

I like big squash and little squash also, if you are looking for big types, I grew about 2 seasons ago a Cinderella pumpkin that was very good.

{{gwi:102350}}

Silvia

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks HTH. That is a jiffy mini greenhouse that was used for my first set of seeds. I just put potting soil in it and planted the pumpkins in there and covered it. I'm going to try to transplant a few today to see what happens and the rest I'll put in separate containers. I think I've already shot myself in the foot but I'm learning.

Silvia, that is a beautiful pumpkin. Yeah I'm looking for something a little bigger than what I've planted now. That will be great for next year. How long does the cindarella take to grow 120 days? I'm thinking beginning of july to start those.

• whgille
    11 years ago

Darren, thank you. I usually start the big varieties of winter squash in early spring, by May they are harvested. They usually take from 90 to 120 days.

In varieties, the sky is the limit.:) last season I planted an Italian Moscato di Provenza

{{gwi:103723}}

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: pumpkin varieties

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Silvia that is a great site. I just spent a 1/2 hour reading all about them. I think I may already in trouble, hahaha. Not a problem since I've only invested in a packet of seeds. I may just pick up another packet or two varieties tomorrow. I haven't given up on my seedlings but they are kinda spindly now.

So what I have bought in the past is the jack o lantern variety from what I've read.........duh. Too funny, I did not know that was a variety even though it is not listed on their page as one, further reading revealed it.

Now that's a creative use of space.

Darren

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

We have had seminole pumpkin do well in central fla.

• nessz79_10a
    11 years ago

Sylvia, what sort of squash do you grow for the fall? I was thinking of doing squash, but I'm short on raised beds/good soil, so I might have to wait. But I would like to know what you recommend for the fall. Thanks!

• whgille
    11 years ago

Hi Nessz

I am growing a compact variety of early butternut squash. Some other years I grew Delica, Red and Blue Kuri, Buttercup, Sweet Dumpling, Kabocha orange Sunshine, Table Queen Acorn squash (this variety is very productive but does not keep well) it has a good flavor for fall recipes. A lot of the Oriental varieties are smaller in size and produce earlier than others. Sometimes I used a fabric potato bag to grow winter squash when I didn't have space in the beds...

Squash harvest

Silvia

• nessz79_10a
    11 years ago

Excellent- thanks, Sylvia! I'm going to the store today and will see if they have any of those seed varieties. If not, I'll check online.

I'll also look into those fabric potato bags, though I don't think my local grocery store has them. That's a great idea, though!