Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Squash

Posted by Orlando-Dave none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 20:35

U of F extension has them as not transplant-able but I've got some started and I'm going to give it a shot.

Anybody had any luck with this?

I'm going to direct seed some too just to be safe.

Thanks.

Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Squash

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 8:20

Hi Orlando-Dave

Gardeners that live in colder climates sometimes plant squash indoors to be transplanted after the frost when they want to get a quick start of the season. If you are careful and don't break any roots, it can be successfully transplanted but it is easier for us just to direct seeded in a good amended soil, there is still time to do that. In fact, I just direct seeded yesterday one more squash that I forgot to plant...

Some of my squash this morning

Photobucket

Silvia

o

The UF guide sez:
Transplantability categories: I, easily survives transplanting; II, survives with care; III, use seeds or containerized transplants only.

Squash/pumpkins are III - 'containerized' means each transplant is in an individual container, not a flat, so you can pop it out w/o disrupting the roots, rather than cutting or breaking roots to separate them from a flat.

I always transplant my squash (you just have to be careful not to break the roots, as Silvia says). Direct-seeding doesn't work for me, as the sprouts are quickly destroyed by bugs & critters.

o

I always start my squash in yogurt cups in the winter and have them under lights until the weather is warm enough to transplant. I've never had any problems. It gets me a head start against bugs and diseases.

o

I also always start my squash seeds in small containers before transplanting. Besides helping them to not get eaten, I often don't have my planting site ready so it buys me extra time.

Christine

o

That is great news because my squash plants look so pretty in their containers. Thanks for unpacking what the UF III designation means.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here