Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengimp

Camphor Tree

gardengimp
12 years ago

Tolerate it or hate it?

That is our backyard 6' fence and our neighbor to the west Camphor Tree circled in red that is two foot from the property line.

The tree is leaning east/southeast and is starting to overwhelm a stand of live oak we have (you can just see some of the upper branches).

And, this time of the year, the tree is terribly messy. Lots of branches, leaves and berries landing in our back yard. I'm guessing from birds & squirrels grazing. Not many tree'lings actually sprout back there that can't be controlled by pulling.

The time consuming part this time of the year is the patrol to pick up the fallen pieces. I think I've associated our male dog's occasionally severe bouts of intestinal distress with the timing of this tree's fall habit of dropping junk. And yes, he does eat stuff from the yard. Especially if it smells good (to him). And apparently fall is when camphor trees are most toxic.

I'm in the research stage, thinking about the pro's and con's of us paying to cut down a neighbors tree.

Hence the question - tolerate it or hate it? And if hate it, how much should I hate it?

Thanks all,

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Camphor

Comments (9)

• Tom
    12 years ago

Have you noticed if the berries are eaten by birds and other wildlife?

This tree is used by the Spicebush butterfly as a larval source. Apparently once the butterfly eats Camphor they are not tasty to birds.

I assume you have spoken to your neighbor already? I have not had luck when I asked my neighbors if I could pay to have a tree in their yard removed.

• gatormomx2
    12 years ago

If your neighbor is in total agreement, definitely cut it down.
    This is not a desirable tree.
    It is one recommended as do not plant due to it's invasive properties.
    From UF:
    " Camphor is listed as a Category I species on the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council (FLEPPC) list of invasive species. FLEPPC considers Category I plants invasive exotic species that displace or disrupt native plant communities, alter the ecology of the environment, or hybridize with native species."

When the tree is cut down, within 5 minutes, pour concentrated weed killer such as Weed-B-Gone directly on the stump. Otherwise, the tree will re-sprout forever. Really- pour it on ASAP! I speak from experience!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cinnamomum camphora Non-Native to Florida

• User
    12 years ago

look into what trees withstood(is that a word?) the hurricanes...camphor is a strong tree. alot of cities have now encouraged people to plant them....only down side to the ones i have is the "die out" of new growth....i like 'em. "evergreen!"

• gatormomx2
    12 years ago

That's a rather blanket statement.
    Have any links to facts or is this idea just hearsay?

• hester_2009
    12 years ago

For what it's worth here are my thoughts. I bought this house with a huge old camphor and I like it a lot. In the spring, the scent is lovely.
    It does drop berries on part of my flat roof and sounds like rocks - so is a bit messy and I find little plantlets around but they don't last long.
    It has obviously survived for many years.
    I realize they are considered invasive, but I find some of the plants listed that way are not really.
    So I don't know if you should hate it or love it but I like mine!

• gardengimp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This one has obviously been around for a while. I really have not had a problem with any of the seedlings surviving in our yard. Unlike the chinese tallow tree they also have near the property line. I am constantly fighting with and digging up those seedlings.

I'm not happy about the Camphor tree overwhelming my life oak stand, but more-so I'm concerned about the toxic bits and pieces falling in our yard. Have any of you heard how toxic they are in Florida? Most of the really scary toxic information I've been able to find is from down under.

With all of the trees around here, especially the life oaks and pines; I'm thinking/hoping this neighbor will be like my others and amendable to removal. If that is what we ultimately decide.

I've taken a close look at just removing the branches over-hanging our yard, but this is darn near the entire tree. So, dunno.

Fortunately, right now my wonky legs are cooperating with the daily pick up the droppings - so I don't need to rush into anything.

~dianne

• Gata1
    10 years ago

One of my garden dreams it is to have a camphor tree! Can you please be very kind to mail me some fresh berries of your camphor tree so I can attempt at planting it, please! Obs: Dry berries does not germinate which is what the plant nurseries web sites sales. Thank you so much! Here is my email!
    Have a great day! gataoxum@hotmail.com

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Cut it down! We had several at church in the playground area. We cut them down. It is not worth hurting or killing your dog to keep it.