Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Battle of the Haws

I have been batting around the idea of attempting to grow a Mayhaw tree for the jelly. But I know I would be pushing its boundaries a bit. Not a big deal if the right microclimate can be found. So I am wondering about the Yellow Haw or Summer Haw as it is also called. This one is indigenous to my area so it should do better with less worrying about finding the 'just right' spot. But what I can't seem to find information on is the flavor of this haw, which happens to have the scientific name Crataegus flava. Has anyone perchance to have tasted both of these, or even just the Yellow Haw? Is it worth it or should I just push a Mayhaw and hope for the best?

Edit: Just did some curiosity checking. Despite immediate suggestion, the latin word flava just means 'yellow'.

This post was edited by Leekle2ManE on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 7:37

Comments (6)

• flatwoods_farm
    10 years ago

My 8 foot, grafted mayhaw (Crataegus aestivalis) is growing well and flowers heavily, but never sets fruit here in Hillsborough county, Fla.

• flintknapper
    10 years ago

hi leeklemane. I have a crataegus opaca that I grafted in 1990 that has bright red fruit that makes very good jelly. Last year I harvested 28 gallons of berries. The tree is thornless and and has a very pretty shape. I live in southeast Texas in zone 9a. If you are interested in grafting it to your native hawthorne, I would gladly share some graft wood with you this winter. I can email you a picture of it if you post your email address.
    flintknapper

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the offer, but my experience with grafting is nil. I have a source nearby where I can get both C. flava and C. aestivalis, but I only have room for one tree. So I am trying to figure out which one to go with. But perhaps I will at least attempt what you both are saying and try my hand at grafting. But I'm not sure quite yet.

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

I have a beautiful self-sown yellow haw on my property not too far from lady lake. It is stunning in full bloom - what a draw for native pollinators. I love the growth habit of it. I don't know how much fruit it makes - by the time we get there it only has a few dried pippins left.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually think I have found my answer by NOT finding my answer. I have been doing several searches and I have yet to find one reference to using Yellow Haw's fruit in jellies. It's always the Mayhaws that are referenced. So going by this omission, I'm guessing either the Yellow Haw's fruit are either inedible or just not all that tasty. So if I want a haw for jelly, I might have to take a stab at grafting. So I'm going to be doing my homework and looking for 'easy to graft' plants to practice with.

Thanks a lot though, folks.

• flintknapper
    10 years ago

Mayhaws are very easy to graft. I did mine with a Tee bud graft In July 1990 and it took off like gangbusters in a very short time. In the early spring is the best and most successful time to cleft graft them. There are several commercial orchards growing them in my area and all of them are growing my variety of mayhaw. I found it growing along highway 73 about 20 miles west of Port Arthur Texas In April and took some cuttings that I tried to root in a sweat box and was not successful. The buds still looked good and that is why I did the Tee bud in July.