Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morningloree

Garden Party-anyone?

morningloree
10 years ago

I would not mind hosting a garden party for fall. I know how everyone looks forward to getting together and unfortunately Sylvia will be unable to have a fall party this year. I live in Lake Mary, kids, friends, relatives are welcome. I was thinking October 26th, I will post my email address here if you guys are interested. Dawninvalrico@yahoo.com. I started some plants and my husband wants to reclaim the patio. All inventory must go, close out prices---free!

Comments (31)

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Count me in, Dawn.
    I've got an inventory clearance rack, too.

Susie

• AmberBrook
    10 years ago

I'd like to come to your party too! Thanks for offering to host!

-Amber

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I am interested too, but need to know the date. :o)

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

I'll be there! I've already written it on the calendar.

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

I won't be able to make the 26th. I have clients coming all morning, then grandkids dropped off to spend the rest of the day and overnight. Bummer!

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

About an hour and fifteen minute drive for me. Not much longer than the drive to Kara's. I won't make a commitment quite yet, but I will mark it on the calendar. Unfortunately, all my plant starts have homes they are destined for, so I won't have anything to bring.

• morningloree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dear Shear- you have to come I got a Miracle Fruit Seed to sprout just for you, no easy task! Bring grand kids with you. I don't have young kids, but we have a DVD player, X box, don't know how warm it will be but have swimming pool.
    I hope to see you,too Leekle, bring kids and don't worry about not having any plants, I over did it with the propagation, I hope I have something you might like. I will be happy to see Karalyn again and meet new people. I am looking at the 26th of October should we say 11:00, I am flexible on time, though. Send me email, I have to give you guys the gate code and address. Dawninvalrico@yahoo.com. I'll have a Honey Baked Ham and salad and hot apple cider, anything anyone wants to bring is welcome.

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

Very nice of you to offer to host. I'm not 100% sure I can make it, but would like to if my schedule works out. I have a few plants I can bring, but not as many as I tend to have in spring.

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

Dawn, I'd love to come, but simply CAN'T that day... I have clients until noon and girls being dropped off around 2-3.

We'll have to find another day where I can come by and collect my Miracle Fruit plant and see what your yard has been up to since my last visit!

• Truscifi
    10 years ago

I would love to come if I can. My son has an audition this weekend for an upcoming play, so I won't know my availability until we find out if he is cast and what the rehearsal schedule will be.

If I can make it, maybe Kara and I can carpool!

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

Truscifi, carpooling would be great!

• morningloree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope everyone can make it, I have plenty to give away. I have 4 kinds of Basil, Confederate Rose, Mona Lavender, small rooted cutting of Goldfish plant, Pumpkin Tree, Easter Egg Tree, Cuban Buttercup, Blue Ginger Plant, small Bamboo Orchid Plant, Crucifix Orchid, Broken Colors 4 o'clock, white Pentas, Vietnamese Holly Hock, Cryptanthus, Small plant of Swedish Ivy, and Pilea Mollis. If there is something you see and want a clipping, feel free to ask. I'll have a Honey Baked Ham and some sides. Eleven 0'clock on 10/26. Looking forward to seeing you guys.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

That's quite a list, Dawn . . . some stuff there I've never even heard of!

I was working on stuff to bring and wanted to see if anyone would like some year-old amaryllis bulbs. I started these from seeds before I left Lake Placid and there's red ones, white ones, orange ones and the red-white-striped. They should bloom in 2 years. I have a few too many and no sunny places to plant them.

I'm also gonna bring those huge-leaved begonia plants, purple firespike, clerodendrum minahassae, polka-dot plant cuttings and cordylines. I have roses I can bring if anyone asks ( besides yours, Dawn) these are either Old Blush or Natchitoches, or something pink like them.

I might also decide to bring my Desert Rose young'uns and maybe my little plumeria I grew from seed. It's hard to give away my babies, but it's hard to keep them, too so it's a hard decision for me.

And does anyone need the compartment=tray=things for starting new seeds? My neighbor buys so many Lowes dollar plants and gives me the trays, but I hate to toss them if someone could use 'em. Most are the 9-pack size.

Susie

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

Okay, I think it is fairly safe to say that I will not be attending this party. Between the kids' birthdays this month, halloween and the government shutdown (my VA disability check is a HUGE part of our finances), I can't really afford the luxury of a day trip. Maybe next spring.

• morningloree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear you won't make it, understand the gov't shutdown is tough on some people.
    Susieqsie, have to say your stuff sounds interesting. I understand about the babies..the basil is tiny, but already you can see Purple Ruffles is going to be a pretty as well as a nice edible plant. For some reason I went on a seed buying spree and have some interesting seeds to share, too.
    Truscifi, I hope to see you and Karalyn, I have some ornamental basil that I think you would enjoy.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

I'm REAL sorry to hear Bridget and Leekle can't make it.

But I hope Barbie and Angela will have that day free.

Dawn, that's funny that you went on a seed-buying spree . . . I just went on a Daylily-buying spree! And I was doing so good to not order any seeds, because I always get so carried away.

That's a good idea to share extra seeds, so I will bring some of mine, too. I have some of the trial seeds left, too.
    Here's a picture:

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

That's a great selection of plants! I'm sorry to report though that I'm not going to be able to make it. My schedule is just too hectic this month. Thank you so much for the invite though. Hope you all have a great time!

• morningloree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to some over zealous weedwacking I have more cuttings I started...I had a guy who was pretty reliable, but he contracted my yard to someone else, who devastated it. I now have sweet almond, forsythia, and hoya that I started. I am pretty angry with what happened. I can't believe they didn't recognize hibiscus, 4 o'clocks, impatiens, and dancing lady ginger,they shredded about 12 plants. They hoya was hanging in a tree, I am not sure, how they managed to cut some branches off.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

How terrible for you, Dawn!

I guess mowers and weedeaters are trained to mow and eat anything green. If they had to compensate for the all the damage they do, maybe they'd be less inclined to fling themselves around peoples' yards so destructively.

I have friends in that business. Chopping, razing and mowing over green stuff with gas-powered machines is what it's all about. That's almost exactly the way they put it.

But you seem to have gotten the worst treatment of all. Cutting your hoya in its hanging basket is a slap in the face. (Unless it accidently got bumped into by a head that was looking downward.)

I'm feeling your pain. I'll bring ya some more hibiscus . . . .

Susie

• michaelc0
    10 years ago

I'd like to attend with my daughter. We are just getting back into gardening after a 3 year absence. I won't have much to trade, but could bring a few small pinapple plants I'm starting off a mother plant.

• morningloree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Welcome MichealcO and daughter,
    I have so much so much to share, you are welcome to take home as many plants that you are interested in. The pineapple plants sound lovely. I'll have plenty of things to get a good start in the garden an absence.

Thanks Susieqsie, only a fellow garder understands. I am learning to be quite the propagator, with all the shreds of plants...I think the Hoya might have been hit by something, my hummingbird feeder got knocked down, too. I consoled myself with a new dwarf crape myrtle. There is a new "Magic" series coming out developed in Georgia. They are supposed to be resistant to the usual crape myrtle bugaboos. I found a Coral Magic at Lowes for $6.00. Midnight Magic is another I am interested in, dwarf, purple foliage, and fuschia pink flowers.

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I was hoping to be able to come, but they are doing some major work on my house and won't be finished. Seems I always miss the fun events. Hope you all have a great time.

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

Even though the next few weeks are very busy for me I will be making time to come to your party. Haven't been very active in the garden lately so I won't have as much to bring as I normally would though. I have a couple tuber roses, a white butterfly ginger, rain lilies, candy corn cuphea, blue flag iris, louisiana iris, and some canna. Also, I plan on bringing an applesause (spice) cake with cream cheese icing. Bought the ingredients for it yesterday.

• AmberBrook
    10 years ago

I'm going to try to come to this party too. I haven't decided if I'll bring my husband and kids or not. I'll bring some pumpkin bread for a desert. I have a lot of plants I can bring, so if anyone wants anything in particular, please look at my trade list and let me know. Otherwise, I'll probably bring my usual miracle fruit seedlings along with a few different gingers, chinese violet, and maybe a few other things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amber's Trade List

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting your Trade List, Amber..good idea.
    If you have an extra Brown Turkey Fig, I'd love one. Would you like my Vanilla Orchid offshoot? If you think I could get a cutting to root this time of year, I'd like to try your Red Firespike and Brazilian Red Cloak.

Does anyone want me to bring some amaryllis babies? I'm happy to share (there might even be some different and unusual colors) but I don't want to uproot the pots if there's no takers.

Kara, some of your stuff I've never heard of, so I'll be looking them up along with what Dawn listed. I'm bringing a friend who's never been to a swap and we're looking forward to seeing all these cool plants.

Susie

• morningloree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow Karalyn, for someone that has not been in the yard, you still have a nice list. The dessert sounds yummy. I really enjoyed the food you had at your garden party.
    Amber, I just started growing Miracle Fruit. I read they were supposed to be difficult, but I mixed some coffee grounds in the soil and the first 2 seeds I planted sprouted. You have a nice trade list. I hope I have something you are interested in.
    Susieqsie, I will be happy to have some Amaryllis babies. It will be nice to meet your friend.
    I have added a Queen's Tears Bromeliad with some dark pink Cryptanthus in the same pot. I have an Orange Marmalade Crossandra and a succulent bucket with Cryptanthus, a miniature Aloe, I think it's called Zebrina and a start of Christmas cactus. I have a rooted start of Tapestry vine and white Duranta and some Royal Poinciana Trees, although they would do better in a warmer zone. I have a baby that I have not separated from my Ananas Lucida, it's a pink pineapple plant. The cultivar is Lava burst. It is actually one of the more striking plants in my yard.

• morningloree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow Karalyn, for someone that has not been in the yard, you still have a nice list. The dessert sounds yummy. I really enjoyed the food you had at your garden party.
    Amber, I just started growing Miracle Fruit. I read they were supposed to be difficult, but I mixed some coffee grounds in the soil and the first 2 seeds I planted sprouted. You have a nice trade list. I hope I have something you are interested in.
    Susieqsie, I will be happy to have some Amaryllis babies. It will be nice to meet your friend.
    I have added a Queen's Tears Bromeliad with some dark pink Cryptanthus in the same pot. I have an Orange Marmalade Crossandra and a succulent bucket with Cryptanthus, a miniature Aloe, I think it's called Zebrina and a start of Christmas cactus. I have a rooted start of Tapestry vine and white Duranta and some Royal Poinciana Trees, although they would do better in a warmer zone. I have a baby that I have not separated from my Ananas Lucidus Variegted, it's a pink pineapple plant. The cultivar is Lava burst. It is actually one of the more striking plants in my yard.

This post was edited by morningloree on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 20:54

• AmberBrook
    10 years ago

Susie,
    Yes, I can bring you a brown turkey fig, red firespike and the Brazilian red cloak. I think I may have some already rooted cuttings of those too. I would like a a vanilla orchid! I'd also like a couple of your amaryllis babies.

Dawn,
    Don't worry, you have lots of plants that I'd like! :) Miracle fruit trees are lots of fun aren't they. I've been growing them for a while now and I think I actually enjoy propagating and growing them more than I like eating them. They are finicky enough to be rather challenging, but when you finally get the conditions right then it's very satisfying and rewarding. I don't have much trouble getting the seeds to sprout either, but I do use a specific technique where I crack or remove the thin outer shell first. It's a little time consuming, but it works almost every time.

• wiigodess
    10 years ago

Thanks for the invite if it is still open, I usually lurk but have been to sylvia's and really enjoyed the get togethers, I have pinecone ginger and aloe if anyone wants any it has really expanded in the garden. I would like a â¢Curcuma - Ginger Lily (variety unknown, if it is still avaiable?
    Thanks Joan

• AmberBrook
    10 years ago

Hi Joan,
    Yes, I have lots of rhizomes from that curcuma I can bring.

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

Most of the plants that I listed are ones that have been sitting in pots in my holding area for months now. I also made a quick round of the garden last night and potted up a few more plants to bring.

Amber, I was looking over your trade list, both the plants that you have and what you're looking for and I may be able to help with a few on you wish list. I'll have to check the garden and see which of my daylilies could stand to be thinned. I'm interested in your Jerusalem Artichokes.

A word of warning about one of the plants on your wish list though. The Mexican Hydrangea -clerodendrum bungei is extremely invasive here in florida. A friend of mine had it take over one of her flower beds and then move into the lawn. No matter what she did to it it just kept traveling.