Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtycoconuts

Carambola starfruit clipping

dirtycoconuts
11 years ago

Hey all. Long time lurker and I was hoping you could help me out. I have just hit the second year birthday of my second starfuit tree from homedepot and I still have no fruit. Both have been potted in full sun in my dads yard and he has since removed both because we want fruiters

So two questions. Are we being unrealistic expecting to at least see signs of fruit or flower w in two years of planting ( probably a one year old sapling at that time)

And does anyone in south Florida have a nice starfruit tree who wants to share a clipping?

Thanks a ton guys and gals

Comments (16)

• theoj
    11 years ago

I've never started one, but I do have a tree that is like a weed. Parts of the year my backyard is covered with fallen fruit, part time is covered with fallen blossoms. I wouldn't plant one now knowing what I know. However, it is a beautiful shady productive tree. I have no idea how to propagate it. The fruit is high, I can't reach it with twigs in the way, it is bruised when it falls. I don't care for the fruit unless it is peeled and it is work to peel. Cut it back severely and it recovers and grows again. It is still a beautiful tree.
    theo

• dirtycoconuts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks theoj, do you know what type of starfruit yours is?

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Have had one since 01.Don't remember when it first started producing but is the most incredibly productive fruit tree I've ever seen is covered with fruit right now and is flowering again lol Only complaint about it that was supposedly a "dwarf" but is 25 feet both ways and the top has been removed twice. Fruits so heavily that it snaps the limbs. Have never tried to propagate it, one is MORE than enough lol
    Can't remember the name of the cultivar nor where I got it Must have been under 20 bucks though as that's my limit on plants lol Was a regular nursery not the box stores though. There are many cultivars so try to find one that will let you taste the fruit because you're going to eat a LOT of carambola lol gary

• nessz79_10a
    11 years ago

We just bought one this past spring (I think March) and haven't seen any flowers or fruit yet. I know that doesn't help you much, but you may still be within the "norm".

• slopfrog
    11 years ago

Is it a grafted or a seed grown tree?

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

I bought one at Homer about a year and a half ago. I can't remember, I think it was a Lara (but maybe a Kary). It has finally bloomed and is loaded with flowers and tiny fruit.

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

I forgot. Mine is in the ground. I tried to root cuttings with little luck. One stick tried to make roots but died.

• coffeemom
    11 years ago

You might want to check out Pine Island nursery. They might have an answer as to why you have no fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Starfruit@Pine Island

• dirtycoconuts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome info guys. Thanks a lot.

• dirtycoconuts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I scored a small tree at the farmers market. A Sri about five feet tall in a one gallon bucket. I am going to move it to a three or a five since I don't know where I am gojng to live next year, and I don't want to lose another tree to my parents yard :)
    Is it better to move it to the bigger pot right away or gradually move over time?

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    11 years ago

A little known fact to many, including to us in The Tropical Fruit Club of Central Fl., is that many varieties of carambola need a pollinator tree. Kary and Arkin are the trees to grow if you want only one. If you want to grow trees such as Sri Kembangan or Fwang Tung, those must have a pollinator.

As mentioned, the grafted trees are not very expensive and it is the best way to grow the trees.

dirtycoconuts ~ If that tree was mine I would transplant the tree into a 3gal pot right away. As for 5gal, I would wait until later next spring. But, that is for my area. You don't have your zone listed.

Christine

• nessz79_10a
    11 years ago

We have a Sri carambola. So we need to get another tree as a pollinator, then?

11 years ago

nessz - Arkin or Kari would be good to plant nearby. Many starfruit growers that I know prefer the flavor of Kari.

• nessz79_10a
    11 years ago

Thanks! I don't know how many years would have passed before I got frustrated with no fruit! I think I might wait until Spring to get another one, though, after the danger of frost/freeze has passed and it can have a long stretch to grow.

• dirtycoconuts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Christine, thanks for that info. How can I get a tree that will specifically be a pollination tree? I was told it is a Sri but one of the other trees right next to it was fruiting already.

I'm in zone 10b

11 years ago

dirtycoconuts ~ Any self-pollinating tree will pollinate others that need a pollinator. Your trees will be very happy in zone 10b. I have to grow mine right up next to my house, on the south side, to take advantage of the microclimate.

Christine