Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picture of My Desert Rose that I Grew from Seed - RED!!!!

Posted by yumtomatoes 10a/FLA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 22:13

I put a pic in my other thread but it is a long thread and I thought this pic was worth its own thread.

I noticed a seed pod on a desert rose in early August 2011. By mid-October I had seedlings. Now my first has bloomed and its RED!!!!!! Ain't she pretty?

Luckily I was able to save her from an oleander catepillar attack. Boy can those critters eat fast!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picture of My Desert Rose that I Grew from Seed - RED!!!!

VERY Pretty...Congrats!!

o

Thanks!!!

o

Oh Yum that is breathtaking! Is that a rare color in DR's?
My seedling gave me a pretty pink bloom, but I've learned that pink is the common color. What color is the parent plant?

Susie

o

Hi Susie - Thanks! I think it is not very common to get a red desert rose from seed. Most seedlings produce pink flowers. The parent plant was had red flowers and was grown from a cutting, so its caudex is not as impressive as those that are grafted or grown from seed. I am so excited to have a red one grown from seed!

o

awesome

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 19:06

Very nice Yum, you've done well! What soil mix are you using and how have you been fertilizing? Whatever you're doing is certainly right ;-)

Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here