Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gall Midges - Hibiscus Buds Turning Yellow and Dropping

Posted by yumtomatoes 10a/FLA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 22:15

If your hibiscus buds are turning yellow and dropping before they open, pick a dropped bud up off the ground and open it, especially if it is freshly dropped. If you see tiny little yellow larvae (use a magnifying glass) those are gall midge larvae.

Pick up the dropped buds and place them in plastic bags for disposal. Use imidacloprid soil drench to kill the larvae that make it to the soil to pupate otherwise they will just mature and then the cycle repeats.

Not sure how far north you find this pest but here in South Florida we have them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gall Midges - Hibiscus Buds Turning Yellow and Dropping

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 6:41

You are so right. I've been dealing with them for years. The Bayers Tree & Shrub works pretty good, but I am thinking of take them out and putting in crotons. Crotons are easier care. :o)

o

It's funny where I live, many red hibiscus seem fine but my yellowish-orange hibiscus is loaded with the gall midges. I wonder if flower color has anything to do with attracting the adult gall midges?

o

Good to know, thanks for sharing.

Darren

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here