Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
9b sunflower or other edible seed plants

Posted by iateadonut 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 21, 11 at 23:24

Hi,

just wondering if anyone has seeds for sunflower or other edible seed or nut bearing plants that are easy to grow in 9b?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 9b sunflower or other edible seed plants

I used to live in 9b, and while sunflower grew well there, between the squirrels, birds, fungus and bugs, I never got one seed for myself. From what I understand, you have to constantly spray them with neem oil to keep away the insects and fungus, but that won't stop the squirrels and birds.

o

You can grow sesame from organic unhulled seeds - I did. I get my the seeds @ a local health-food store to use for cooking & on a whim, I just threw some around in my garden beds & covered lightly w/ compost. They all sprouted, but many died back - most likely because I wasn't giving them any special care, I think - or it may've been the wrong season (Summer). The seed pods are still green right now on the several that survived & bloomed.

o

Hi,
I'm very excited someone else is interested in growing edible seeds/nuts in their garden. I've just begun exploring growing these kinds of things, but last year I had great success with a few varieties. FYI I live in central florida near Mt. Dora.
I grew mammoth sunflower seeds and collected a large cooking pot full of seeds from about five plants. I did have some seeds mold though, so I recommend drying them exceptionally well if you plan on leaving them in the shells before storing. I also grew Afghani Sesame seeds which did really great here during dry spells of March and April and continued to flourish in the wet months as well. They do very well with the heat and had no issues with pests. They weren't as easy as the sunflowers to shell, but worth it for the delicious seeds. I hung mine upside down in buckets and banged them around a bit to get the seeds out. Bakers creek seeds has a few nice varieties including the Afghani kind.
I've also grown buckwheat as a summer cover crop which has a distinctive flavor. I'd recommend trying it from the store first before planting, but it is such a great grower here in our summers and acts as a good insect habitat it's almost worth growing even if you don't collect the grain.
A few things I haven't grown yet, but hope to in the future are:
cashew trees
peanuts (do really well here, many of my neighbors grow them with great success)
Kakai Pumpkins (have hulless black seeds inside which are delicious and don't have the work required as most pumpkin/squash seeds have to be hulled.)
Chia (super food and exceptional smoothie additive)
Here's an interesting link about edible seeds:
http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Less_successful_experimental_crops/
Good luck on your gardening adventures!
Caitlin

o

I like the Kakai pumpkin suggestion, I'd like to try those.
Best edible sunflower I could find was the SuperSnacks Hybrid. I'm going to try this sunflower because I can't find a better variety for eating. Even though the price is hard to justify.

http://www.burpee.com/flowers/sunflowers/sunflower-super-snack-mix-hybrid-prod000402.html?catId=cat70016

Here is a study on sunflowers varieties for oil seed production. If you're serious about sunflower seeds.
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/rowcrops/a652.pdf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here