Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imagardener2

DIY 20 minutes trellis

imagardener2
14 years ago

I did this myself in 20 minutes. Wish I had taken photos of all materials before installation but it was an impulse creation.

Materials:

(2) 10' rebar of medium diameter (bendable)

(1) 8' conduit cut into (4) 2' sections (diameter to fit rebar)

bamboo X in the width of trellis

rubber mallet to pound conduit into ground

finished rebar frame 4' tall

{{gwi:954722}}

before tying the passionflower to the rebar

{{gwi:954723}}

close-up of the rebar fitting into the conduit

pounded the conduit about 12"+ into the ground

{{gwi:954725}}

I made this bamboo X in the width of the trellis to keep me on square. Pounded the conduit at each corner.

{{gwi:954728}}

What I didnt photograph was how I bent the rebar. Put a block of wood, scrap 2x4 in the dead center of the piece of rebar (I spray painted the center after measuring). Stand on wood and bend one side up, then the other.

Use gloves when handling rebar. I got an infected finger from this project and learned my lesson.

Passiflora "Incense"

{{gwi:954729}}

Next project:taller trellis-8' tall. Will need to bend rebar at top only and fit the ends into a conduit sleeve at top to make an arch. If anyone has done this please post photos. Would appreciate tips.

Denise

Comments (18)

• whgille
    14 years ago

Very nice Denise!

It is a good idea to make our own trellis, store bought are so expensive.

The rebar make a very strong post, when the passionflower fills in, it is going to look beautiful!

Thanks for the idea, I might copy myself soon. :)

Silvia

• imagardener2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Sylvia

The passionflower took about 4 weeks to completely cover the frame. (Yes I am too lazy to download fresh photos). This project was done in August, we went on vacation in September and it was completely covered when we got back.

I realize this framework is way too short for a vigorous passionflower but I never stifle myself when the mood to do something strikes. The rebar could (and will be) replaced with a taller version in the same conduit.

• countrynest
    14 years ago

Determination,paid off. :-)
    Congratulations for a durable,trellis.
    You have given me inspiration,thanks.
    Felix

• marcia_m
    14 years ago

Very neat, Denise! I'm saving your directions for future use.
    Marcia, PA&FL

• thonotorose
    14 years ago

Wonderful! I have seen that there is 20 foot rebar available. That would make a heck of a trellis.

And I've already got the conduit....

Veronica

• imagardener2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Veronica

I wanted 20' rebar and Lowes told me they don't stock it anymore. I think they were being lazy since they also told me they didn't have the 10' and I had to show them they DID and where it was.

Good luck with yours. Photos please when done :)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    14 years ago

Yeah, and they told me they didn't have amaryllis bulbs, either... right next to the register, whadaya know. Don't trust a clerk; look for yourself.

• thonotorose
    14 years ago

Denise,

This is such a great trellis, I think it needs to be posted at the A R Forum.

Veronica

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Very Cool Denise, you're quite creative!

• imagardener2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Veronica, when I do a taller one for the roses (or maybe you'll get to it first :)) I'll post it there.

Tom
    You're the one who told me how to bend stuff when I asked how you bent your tomato cages. The 2x4 trick plus my weight haha.

Denise

• trinigemini
    14 years ago

What is the A R forum?

• thonotorose
    14 years ago

Antique Rose

13 years ago

Denise,

I "clipped" this post so that I would remember to go back and build one of these. I just love this idea! Have you made the taller model yet? I'll post photos of mine once I get it made.

Carol

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Very cool Denise, I'm concentrating on converting half the garden to flowers this summer, right now my focus is on the vining plants so your timing is excellent ;-)

Tom

• Randy Ritchie
    13 years ago

Just love it. Your instructions are good too. Thanks!

girlsaylor

• imagardener2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Serendipity. I just finished with help from DH my new taller (10') trellis for a climbing rose. Just waiting for good light to photograph it.

Will post as soon as download/upload is done.

Denise

12 years ago

I've been going back to this post over and over but still haven't built a trellis. This year is going to be the year.

Question: how do you cut the conduit? By hand? What kind of saw or blade? I don't know anything about cutting metal.

Thanks!
    Carol

• imagardener2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I cut the conduit by hand with a fine tooth hand saw, helps to have it in a vise but I've done it without. Getting the first bite is the hardest but conduit is pretty soft metal.

I've moved that original trellis all over the yard, front and back. After a while the passionflower got eaten by the gulf fritillaries and looked really ratty so I dismantled the trellis. I am still pulling up passionflower all over the front yard, that stuff likes to travel.

I've put up non-rebar lattice trellis also but that is a two person operation. The rebar trellis is something one person can do very quickly, cheaply and easily.

Denise