Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY 20 minutes trellis

Posted by imagardener2 9-10 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 20, 09 at 7:41

I did this myself in 20 minutes. Wish I had taken photos of all materials before installation but it was an impulse creation.
Materials:
(2) 10' rebar of medium diameter (bendable)
(1) 8' conduit cut into (4) 2' sections (diameter to fit rebar)
bamboo X in the width of trellis
rubber mallet to pound conduit into ground

finished rebar frame 4' tall
Photobucket

before tying the passionflower to the rebar
Photobucket

close-up of the rebar fitting into the conduit
pounded the conduit about 12"+ into the ground
closeup
I made this bamboo X in the width of the trellis to keep me on square. Pounded the conduit at each corner.
Photobucket

What I didnt photograph was how I bent the rebar. Put a block of wood, scrap 2x4 in the dead center of the piece of rebar (I spray painted the center after measuring). Stand on wood and bend one side up, then the other.
Use gloves when handling rebar. I got an infected finger from this project and learned my lesson.

Passiflora "Incense"
Photobucket

Next project:taller trellis-8' tall. Will need to bend rebar at top only and fit the ends into a conduit sleeve at top to make an arch. If anyone has done this please post photos. Would appreciate tips.

Denise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY 20 minutes trellis

Very nice Denise!

It is a good idea to make our own trellis, store bought are so expensive.

The rebar make a very strong post, when the passionflower fills in, it is going to look beautiful!

Thanks for the idea, I might copy myself soon. :)

Silvia

o

Thanks Sylvia

The passionflower took about 4 weeks to completely cover the frame. (Yes I am too lazy to download fresh photos). This project was done in August, we went on vacation in September and it was completely covered when we got back.

I realize this framework is way too short for a vigorous passionflower but I never stifle myself when the mood to do something strikes. The rebar could (and will be) replaced with a taller version in the same conduit.

o

Determination,paid off. :-)
Congratulations for a durable,trellis.
You have given me inspiration,thanks.
Felix

o

Very neat, Denise! I'm saving your directions for future use.
Marcia, PA&FL

o

Wonderful! I have seen that there is 20 foot rebar available. That would make a heck of a trellis.

And I've already got the conduit....

Veronica

o

Veronica

I wanted 20' rebar and Lowes told me they don't stock it anymore. I think they were being lazy since they also told me they didn't have the 10' and I had to show them they DID and where it was.

Good luck with yours. Photos please when done :)

o

Yeah, and they told me they didn't have amaryllis bulbs, either... right next to the register, whadaya know. Don't trust a clerk; look for yourself.

o

Denise,

This is such a great trellis, I think it needs to be posted at the A R Forum.

Veronica

o

• Posted by tomncath 9B(microclimate 10A) (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 21, 09 at 15:58

Very Cool Denise, you're quite creative!

o

Thanks Veronica, when I do a taller one for the roses (or maybe you'll get to it first :)) I'll post it there.

Tom
You're the one who told me how to bend stuff when I asked how you bent your tomato cages. The 2x4 trick plus my weight haha.

Denise

o

What is the A R forum?

o

Antique Rose

o

Denise,

I "clipped" this post so that I would remember to go back and build one of these. I just love this idea! Have you made the taller model yet? I'll post photos of mine once I get it made.

Carol

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Sun, May 23, 10 at 9:32

Very cool Denise, I'm concentrating on converting half the garden to flowers this summer, right now my focus is on the vining plants so your timing is excellent ;-)

Tom

o

Just love it. Your instructions are good too. Thanks!

girlsaylor

o

Serendipity. I just finished with help from DH my new taller (10') trellis for a climbing rose. Just waiting for good light to photograph it.

Will post as soon as download/upload is done.

Denise

o

I've been going back to this post over and over but still haven't built a trellis. This year is going to be the year.

Question: how do you cut the conduit? By hand? What kind of saw or blade? I don't know anything about cutting metal.

Thanks!
Carol

o

I cut the conduit by hand with a fine tooth hand saw, helps to have it in a vise but I've done it without. Getting the first bite is the hardest but conduit is pretty soft metal.

I've moved that original trellis all over the yard, front and back. After a while the passionflower got eaten by the gulf fritillaries and looked really ratty so I dismantled the trellis. I am still pulling up passionflower all over the front yard, that stuff likes to travel.

I've put up non-rebar lattice trellis also but that is a two person operation. The rebar trellis is something one person can do very quickly, cheaply and easily.

Denise

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here