Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

Crinum blooms

KaraLynn
11 years ago

After years of not blooming my red leafed crinum has sent up multiple blooms of and all all summer! I have to say this is my favotite crinum out of all the ones growing in my garden. Even when it's not in bloom it's still eye catching!

Kara

Comments (9)

• alys_esmond USDA 5b Toronto
    11 years ago

Very pretty!
    Do you know what kind it is?

Alys

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have no idea as I bought it on clearance years ago and if it ever had a tag it has long since been lost!

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

With the dark leaves I think it could be Queen Emma. I love crinums, but have problems with lubbers here. The just love them and destroy the leaves.

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I battle lubbers every year and out of all my crinums this seems to be their favorite to munch on. Since this plant is at the end of the sidewalk right next to where I park my car it's easy to spot any lubbers that are on the plant. Then I grab a small shovel and play batting practice with it! This year I seem to be keeping ahead of the lubbers as only a few leaves have been munched on.

I'm not sure if it's a Queen Emma as most of the pictures I found online seem to have much narrower flower petals and most seem to be described as fragrant. My plant has an extremely faint fragrance. On the other hand the foliage is a match and it does have a thich base like the Queen Emma. I did find another crinum that's a possible match, Sangria Crinum Lily, but while the flowers are a better match the leaves in the pictures I found weren't as dark as mine are.

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

You are lucky, I kill over a 1000 lubbers each year. We have a vacant lot next door and they breed in there. Then come to my garden to feast on crinums and amaryillis. In Aug we do lubber patrol daily and get 25 to 50 every day.

• User
    11 years ago

it's the queen.....sparse blooms this year on mine but getting huge...nice pic.......m

• tinael01
    11 years ago

That is a real stunner! Beautiful plant, Kara!

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Beautiful! How large is the plant? I don't think this is Queen Emma - I have one of those and it is 6' tall. Its bloom spikes are massive, the stems holding up the bloom stalks on mine are easily an inch in diameter. The flowers themselves have narrower petals and are not so pink, and smell like vanilla - very strong fragrance.

I have seen a crinum labeled "sangria" at Lukas, that has leaves equally dark as Queen Emma, but seems to be a smaller plant. I had been wondering if it was indeed a smaller plant, or if they were just young plants. Very interested to know the height of your plant, it would be very nice to have something with similar form to Queen Emma that would fit into smaller spaces in my yard.

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This crinum is about 4' tall before the leaves start bending over towards the ground. And as for fragrance you have to put your nose right in the flower before you even catch a hint of a smell. I have no idea if it's a fully mature crinum though as when I bought it it fit in a 1 gallon pot so it might still have some growing to do.

I recently bought a 3 gallon pot of red leaf crinums that was packed with multiple plants that were in bloom. That crinums leaves stand straight up without bending over and the entire plant is between 1-2' tall at most. I'll check and see if I still have the plant tag when I get home to see what it is.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH