Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How To Know When Beans Are Ripe?

Posted by brute Florida 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 20, 08 at 8:37

I've got several cowpea (black-eyed pea) pods out there that are looking big and juicy, but still green. If I want to eat fresh peas, how should the pod look, green or brown?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How To Know When Beans Are Ripe?

It should look green and the fact that it is fat generally means they are ready to pick and shell. Zip open one of the pods and if the peas are nice and big then you need to pick, cook and enjoy, Linda

o

Are beans perennials, or do they only grow vegetables once?

o

They generally will produce many pickings over a season but they are not perennials. You need to resow them each year. Linda

o

• Posted by brute Florida 10 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 25, 08 at 8:30

I brought some pods into the house and opened them. The peas, while large, were green and so hard I couldn't easily crush one with my fingers.
I've never grown black-eyed peas before. I'm used to seeing them grayish-white with a black "eye". Are they supposed to be green?

o

You can harvest and cook them at any stage after the pod fills out. I always let my blackeye peas just dry on the bush, then pick and shell them.

When the pod gets brown and sorta papery, it's time to harvest for drying. You can let them get completely dry on the plant, but watch out for fungus. I used to lay them out between newspapers to dry, then store them.

To get the best taste, add a ham hock or some salt pork to the pot, as well as a small chopped onion when cooking.

o

They will be green ntil cooked. The color you are used to is the dried beas you biy in the store and JYG is correct in that you allow them to dry on the bush and pick when the hull is very papery and rustles when you touch it. I love them fresh off the vine and yes cook them with ham hocks, ham bones, ham pieces, sat pork, country ham or plain bacon or bacin drippings. Salt towards the end as they cook down. Make a pone of cornbread to ass to the pot liquor and some hot pepper sauce and you will be in southern heaven. Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here