Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Muscadine vines with no grapes

Posted by dirtygardener73 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 27, 11 at 9:51

There is a wooded area near me that has tons of wild muscadine vines. I was thinking that this fall, I could get some grapes, but evidently, these vines are sterile. Not a grape to be found. Maybe a late freeze last spring got them, but it's a disappointment. $5 a pack in the store for muscadines and scuppernongs, which is too rich for my budget.

I so miss my wild muscadines. In SC, I had them everywhere on my property, and made grape jelly every year. I wouldn't be making jelly anymore, but I love eating them. Brings back childhood memories of sitting in a big oak tree eating them by the hour.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Muscadine vines with no grapes

I have a couple of nursery bought muscadines,as well as a bunch of wild vines growing in the wooded areas on my property.The nursery varieties flowered very early in the Spring & I had fruit by early Summer.I think it was pretty close to that time,that I saw some very tiny fruits on the wild grapes also.

o

I have never seen ripe fruit on the wild grapes on our property, although I have seen the beginnings of them, and I try to keep an eye on them throughout the year. Either they are not fruiting or the wildlife is getting it before I can see it. The wild grapes where I used to live always had fruit every year. - ????

o

I usually pick wild grapes in early August. The only ones by me that produce are the very large mature vines growing along the edge of the road by the drainage ditches. I'm assuming the extra sunlight and water may be a factor.

The tangles of tree-spanning vines in the woods don't seem to produce.

Larry

o

I have tons of wild muscadines on my fences and around my property. I've never gotten any grapes either.

o

I'm guessing wildlife IS eating up that fruit. FWIW, my Master Gardener aunt played a trick on us once when we were visiting her in WI; we came upon some wild grapes while touring a local park & started to pick the fruit, while she hung back & watched - those grapes were so sour! She laughed & explained that was why they were still on the vine.

o

We have a ton of wild muscadines here and like others I had never seen any grapes on them. A few weeks back while cutting down a tree I was surprised to see it had a ton of mature grapes in the top of the tree that you could not see from the ground, they were not bad at all.

o

It's too late for any muscadine fruits now and many vines are male only. Paul.

o

• Posted by akaj9 9 Central Florida (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 31, 11 at 20:32

Mine were the small wild ones on the front fence area...they matured a month or so ago....and the wildlife takes them FAST

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here