Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtygardener73

Wild Muscadine vines with no grapes

dirtygardener73
12 years ago

There is a wooded area near me that has tons of wild muscadine vines. I was thinking that this fall, I could get some grapes, but evidently, these vines are sterile. Not a grape to be found. Maybe a late freeze last spring got them, but it's a disappointment. $5 a pack in the store for muscadines and scuppernongs, which is too rich for my budget.

I so miss my wild muscadines. In SC, I had them everywhere on my property, and made grape jelly every year. I wouldn't be making jelly anymore, but I love eating them. Brings back childhood memories of sitting in a big oak tree eating them by the hour.

Comments (12)

• westhamutd
    12 years ago

I have a couple of nursery bought muscadines,as well as a bunch of wild vines growing in the wooded areas on my property.The nursery varieties flowered very early in the Spring & I had fruit by early Summer.I think it was pretty close to that time,that I saw some very tiny fruits on the wild grapes also.

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I have never seen ripe fruit on the wild grapes on our property, although I have seen the beginnings of them, and I try to keep an eye on them throughout the year. Either they are not fruiting or the wildlife is getting it before I can see it. The wild grapes where I used to live always had fruit every year. - ????

• tryinginfla9b
    12 years ago

I usually pick wild grapes in early August. The only ones by me that produce are the very large mature vines growing along the edge of the road by the drainage ditches. I'm assuming the extra sunlight and water may be a factor.

The tangles of tree-spanning vines in the woods don't seem to produce.

Larry

• judyk_2008 9a DeLeon Sprs. (NW Volusia)
    12 years ago

I have tons of wild muscadines on my fences and around my property. I've never gotten any grapes either.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 years ago

I'm guessing wildlife IS eating up that fruit. FWIW, my Master Gardener aunt played a trick on us once when we were visiting her in WI; we came upon some wild grapes while touring a local park & started to pick the fruit, while she hung back & watched - those grapes were so sour! She laughed & explained that was why they were still on the vine.

• bamboo_rabbit
    12 years ago

We have a ton of wild muscadines here and like others I had never seen any grapes on them. A few weeks back while cutting down a tree I was surprised to see it had a ton of mature grapes in the top of the tree that you could not see from the ground, they were not bad at all.

• flatwoods_farm
    12 years ago

It's too late for any muscadine fruits now and many vines are male only. Paul.

• akaj9
    12 years ago

Mine were the small wild ones on the front fence area...they matured a month or so ago....and the wildlife takes them FAST

• Stefanie Seaver
    6 years ago

I found these growing in my yard around and up my cedar tree and engulfing my rose bushes. What can I do with these grapes. I feel like I should do somehing with them instead of letting them go to waste?

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    6 years ago

You can eat them ,make jam or wine if you have a lot.

• Pea
    6 years ago

When i was a kid we would pick the wild grapes and mom would make jelly. They were too sour to eat but made excellent jelly.

• flsusie
    6 years ago

We made syrup from the wild grapes. Totally different tangy taste, nothing at all like grapes. Seems to me the vines we usually got the fruit from had been cut back because they were in the way. Maybe that's the trick to get fruit.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting