Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hibiscus - when and how to prune

Posted by sharbear50 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 10:03

Now that I have the thrips problem under control, thank you everyone for the info; I need to prune my hibiscus plants. They are way too tall, too wide and very dense. Should I trim them now or wait a little later when it really does get cooler? Should I use a hedge trimmer or prune them manually with pruners?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus - when and how to prune

Sharbear, please do not use a hedge trimmer. Hand pruners work great. Try to leave a leaf or two below each cut, or better yet take the branch back to the node. It is rather like proper trimming of a tree, but on a smaller scale. Conventional gardening wisdom suggests not removing more than one third of the plant material. Now is a fine time to trim, if you wait until it is cold you will have to protect them more(if it gets near freezing). Usually, when trimming hibiscus all of the blooms end up being cut off, so you will likely be without blooms for a few months.

o

Thank you realspaazz, I have always used a hedge trimmer but now I can see that that was wrong. When you say to trim back to the node, what exactly does that mean...is it where the main trunks branch out?

o

• Posted by lellie z9 Anna Maria Island (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 30, 09 at 1:59

Hi sharbear!
I'm posting a link below for you to read on pruning that helped me immensely.
The entire site has some good, basic info on Hibiscus, BTW. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus Pruning

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 30, 09 at 6:40

Lellie, that is great info on hibiscus, thanks for posting it. :o)

o

Indeed Lillie, thank you for the great link. Boy do I have a lot of work to do. I think some of my hibiscus also have mealy bugs. I have probably 30 or more hibiscus to work on. Thanks again.
Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here