Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what was your craziest garden task in the rain?

Posted by girlsaylorz9a 10 Ft Lauderdale (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 10:06

So, am I the only crazy person here, or do others occasionally work outside in a warm FL rain? The other day, rain was misty, temperature warm, and there I was, thinking, oh, I'll just finish planting these moonvine seeds I soaked...then I saw a few stray branches I'd been meaning to trim, that were now hanging at a perfect height for me to trim, weighted down by the water on their leaves. Oh, and there was that money tree that I wanted to try another clipping/rooting...I can just get that now, while I have clippers in hand...

So come on guys, confess. Have you ever gone out in the rain to do something zany in the garden?

Randy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what was your craziest garden task in the rain?

On day two of this nonstop rain I had to do something to keep my plants dry. So I got my rain cap on and went outside then I got this long plastic blanket that I would use to cover my bird cage whenever there was a hurricane. Then I got some rope and using the fence for support I improvised a little tent that I was able to fit my bell peppers in. But unfortunately it was not tall enough to cover my tomatoes. While I was outside I figured I might as well turn my compost a bit which is also suffering from the rain.

o

• Posted by Yme405 10b SW Fla (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 11:11

Potted up some newly purchased flowers and planted two bushes in the ground recently. We ran for cover when the heavier bands and lightning came through, but the mist inbetween was great and especially the overcast skies! Worked out well since everything was watered in naturally and very well at that.

I've also been known to the prowl the garden with a flashlight at night. We had a quick break between the serious downpours last night and since the pool was cresting, I knew the garden may have had some issues and just couldn't wait to see until this morning.

Chrissy

o

That's not crazy after months of 99 degree heat at 100% humidity...that's RELIEF! I planted all my strawberries, trimmed the bouganvilla, weeded, and went into the house as happy as I was wet and muddy last week. :)

o

During the torrential rain yesterday (7 inches!) I was busy cleaning the gutters that kept clogging and letting all that water pool on the lanai roof. I was more worried about the pan roof collapsing with all that weight than I was with the garden. This morning I put on my boots and surveyed the damage. The zinnias and mexican sunflower are knocked down but okay. Most of the wild cotton was knocked down, too. Didn't realize they were so shallow rooted. A few plants were broken by falling palm boots. Generally, I'm happy with all the rain. I just replaced the front lawn with mostly native bushes, a lot of elderberry, which don't mind wet feet. It should be a while till I need to water them again!

o

The craziest thing I ever did in the rain was running in and out before a tropical storm bringing plants inside. I had to work, and told my ex to bring them in, but he got to watching the ball game and conveniently forgot. Plus, he later admitted he didn't want to go out in the rain. The wind was blowing like mad, and I was running in and out with plants for about a half hour. I had a hard time closing the back porch door when I was through, the wind was so hard. My ex was still sitting watching the game...there is a reason he's my ex.

o

I went out in a hurricane, between the bands of rain, and propped up my back fence. It was starting to topple and I knew if I didn't stop it, it would just domino down the whole length. I had a long 2 x 4 so grabbed it and propped it up. It worked too, only had to repair that one end.
Lori

o

I used to work at a wholesale nursery and our boss made us work out in the rain. It wasn't bad until it started to lightning and he would tell us it was too far away, keep working. We did until the hair stood up on the back of our necks and we would run for cover. Meanwhile he and his wife would be inside taking a nap.

o

During these drenching bands, I was a little worried about high winds. Down here in 10B we're later than the rest of the state, so my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants were at a vulnerable stage - not tall enough to be staked (for the tomatoes), but all of them tall enough to be knocked down. So I was out staking and tying them onto the trellis during the rain.

Then I couldn't help myself - when I saw a mass of snails attacking my poor marigolds, I did spend a few extra minutes plucking them off. Got good and soaked. Still haven't seen any giant west african land snails, thank goodness.

Albaby

o

I LOVELOVELOVE doing yardwork in the rain. Whenever I get a chance. Wish I'd not been working during the all-day rains earlier this week. I'm always running out though making sure the rain barrel overflow hoses are hooked up and going where I want them, moving things in/out, etc just as the downpour is getting going. The family thinks I'm nuts.

o

Last one (but not the only one) I remember was when I planted a tangerine tree. Just bought from the nursery and dug the hole.. It started raining hard... so I said to myself.. "I just can't leave the whole open or later I would have to take the water out", Well that was a lie... I just wanted to have the tree in the ground soon.

I know I am nuts.. and I am know my neighbors are sure of it.

o

I tried to play in the rain. When the rain looked like it was going to hit, I ran around like a mad women putting out veggie seedlings, planting a new apple to replace the one hit by lightning, and then the ultimate, reseeding the front yard. If there is a sure way to chase away rain, it's fertilizing or seeding. We didn't get enough to go under the trees. Now, I'm watering everyday.

o

a few weeks ago when the weather report said two days of rain and a little wind... ended up being more like 5 or 6" of rain and 60mph winds. my gazebo which was providing cover for all my containers decided to blow away. had to run out and was able to secure it before it hit the neighbors pool screen enclosure. then had to bring about 15 containers inside. the gazebo is scrap metal but suprisingly all the plants survived.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here